AMCAS Personal Statement and Aspergers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HorseOfJuly1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently in the process of writing my personal statement, and I have been having trouble finding a central theme for my essay. I am thinking about writing about my own personal experience overcoming some of the challenges Asperger's syndrome presents, and how my interests in medicine came from this life-circumstance, but I am concerned that some schools would take my diagnosis as evidence that I am not suitable to become a doctor.
By all means, aside from some minor residual anxiety issues, I am fully functioning. In fact, an evaluation a few years ago deemed me as no longer qualifying for the diagnosis. So, I don't think it will effect me in a clinical setting.
What say you SDN? Is my perseverance in the face of ASD a good essay topic, or is my concern warranted?

Best,
Horsey

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion (which is very limited) if something drives you to medicine you should include it in your PS. They ask why you chose medical school. So if your reasons for doing this are your past medical history then by all means include it! That is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

didn't you already ask this?

it was asked elsewhere

try searching for it on SDN

search my post history about how the medical field looks at mental health, search "mental health" it should get you started

TLDR:
if there is any way to hide your mental health diagnosis from anyone associated with your health care career, you should. period.
stakes are too high

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same predicament as you. I couldn't find a good theme for my essay aside from personal mental health.

I just finished my first draft (after 7 or so discarded drafts).

Basically, I framed my mental health problems in a way in which it's not so obvious that it's a mental health issue; instead, it's more a life story, and I emphasized the positive aspects. A lot of my PS is actually about mental health, but not my own.

Like Crayola said, the point is not to take any risk. Healthcare and risk assessment go hand in hand. If you're not sure if you're being too risky, ask some healthcare professionals to read it over.

The important thing to remember is that you are MUCH MORE than your illness. You should have a theme other than your own mental health.

Hope all goes well!

Reactions: 1 users