AMCAS personal statement format---HELP???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiffy boy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with formating my personal statement on AMCAS. When I cut and paste it onto the web page it is in its proper format, but when I view it by selecting "Print Your Application" it is just one big block with no paragraph seperations or indentations at all. Did anyone else have this problem?
Please help if you can!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is doing the same.

I haven't pasted my stuff yet, but try hardcoding spaces instead of using tabs. Also try breaking the paragraphs apart with a blank line - see if that helps. I'm guessing it won't since the print format is hardcoded into the template as well.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine did the same thing. I pasted it and it was one big block, so I broke the paragraphs apart into blocks with blank lines. I would have hardcoded indentations, but blocking it used less characters and I was really close to the maximum character count. It looked acceptable on the printed app, and if med schools get it in a different format than that (like if the paragraphs reappear somehow) and it's screwed up, I guess I really don't care. They'll get the idea.

there is still a bug in the printing of the application in many areas, including the format of the personal essay. i've spoken with AAMC about this. proofread everything on the webpage, that is how it will appear to medical schools, not how it shows up when we try and print it out.