AMCAS PS Character Limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer Simpson

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ack!! In MS Word the word count with spaces came out to 5300 characters exactly for my personal statement, but when I entered the essay into AMCAS it said that I had 5316 characters. What's up with that???

Members don't see this ad.

Homer Simpson said:
Ack!! In MS Word the word count with spaces came out to 5300 characters exactly for my personal statement, but when I entered the essay into AMCAS it said that I had 5316 characters. What's up with that???
AMCAS counts returns as characters too.

Homer Simpson said:

do you have extra spaces somewhere? or tabs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Word doesn't count spaces for lines between paragraphs, so if you separate your paragraphs by an extra line it counts as two spaces in AMCAS. You should be able to cut 16 characters out without too much trouble. I began writing my PS in Word Perfect and got it up to 5300 characters and felt pretty good about it. Then I transferred it to Word and found out that the character count in stupid Word Perfect doesn't count spaces at all. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Needless to say I spent quite a while cutting out those extra ~900 characters due to spaces.

Homer Simpson said:

Just abbreviate dead African babies to DAB everywhere it occurs in your personal statement and you should be OK.

PandaBear you continue to crack me up. It's nice to see the conservative comments that appear on SDN, even though we're still outnumbered by the lefties I think.

Panda Bear said:
Just abbreviate dead African babies to DAB everywhere it occurs in your personal statement and you should be OK.

Ha Ha Ha!