Requip

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
40
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I plan on applying to both DO and MD schools and already submitted my AMCAS. I spent a lot of time on my personal statement and was wondering if it would be appropriate to use the same one for AACOMAS. In the MD statment I use general words like medical career or physician which make me think that it would be fine b/c it answers the question why do you want to pursue a medical career...Anyone have any thoughts? One friend told me I should add something about why DO specifically.
 

ClosetNerd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
275
1
Status
Medical Student
Tiny Bump, I want to hear wat everyone else thinks too.
 
About the Ads

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
238
0
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I used basically the same essay for both, though I did change some details for my DO application because one of the physicans I shadowed was an alum of PCOM, and he did influence my decision some. I think that if you can alter the essay some to fit why DO then do it. If you like the essay and can't easily change it (from what I remember) most of the secondaries ask that, and all of the interviews I had for DO schools did.
 

DORK7

Member
10+ Year Member
May 4, 2006
46
0
Status
Bump...plz give more feedback on this...i'm very curious too
 

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
249
2
Status
Medical Student
My AMCAS and AACOMAS statements were essentially the same. Since I'm leaning towards DO, I wrote AACOMAS 1st and then edited for AMCAS.

I’m speaking from a place a limited experience. My instinct, however, is that it can't hurt to discuss specifically why you're interested in osteopathy in the AACOMAS PS. It might even help?

Maybe you can identify a few things that interest you about osteopathy and incorporate them. Make sure your comments are sincere. I'm sure the admissions reps have finely tuned BS meters. They can likely spot insincerity from a mile away.
 
OP
R

Requip

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
40
0
Status
Pre-Medical
grinchick5 said:
My AMCAS and AACOMAS statements were essentially the same. Since I'm leaning towards DO, I wrote AACOMAS 1st and then edited for AMCAS.

I’m speaking from a place a limited experience. My instinct, however, is that it can't hurt to discuss specifically why you're interested in osteopathy in the AACOMAS PS. It might even help?

Maybe you can identify a few things that interest you about osteopathy and incorporate them. Make sure your comments are sincere. I'm sure the admissions reps have finely tuned BS meters. They can likely spot insincerity from a mile away.
Right, that's the thing is I'd rather not have some BS that they get a million times from people reading the definition of a DO. I think it might actually help to use the same one from MD b/c it would allow me to be specific about DO in my secondaries i.e., I wouldn't have to reuse info from my PS which I'm finding from my MD secondaries. Unless I couldn't find it, I never saw an acutal prompt for the PS for AACOMAS.
 

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
238
0
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
grinchick5 said:
Right, that's the thing is I'd rather not have some BS that they get a million times from people reading the definition of a DO. I think it might actually help to use the same one from MD b/c it would allow me to be specific about DO in my secondaries i.e., I wouldn't have to reuse info from my PS which I'm finding from my MD secondaries. Unless I couldn't find it, I never saw an acutal prompt for the PS for AACOMAS.
I am going to guess it's difficult to determine BS from a fluid, cohesive and consistant essay from a person you have never met. That's what the interview is for.
 

Hoberto

Squirrel Girl
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
8,457
6
Status
Attending Physician
I edited my AMCAS PS for the AACOMAS only to reduce the length since the character limits were different. (I don't know if that is true this year.) I said the same thing in each. The AACOMAS was just a bit more descriptive.

Do not bother writing about how you love DO for the primary. I think every DO school I applied to asked this question in the secondary and then frequently in the interviews as well.

Use the PS to stand out from the crowd and make them believe you really want and need to be a physician.
 
OP
R

Requip

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
40
0
Status
Pre-Medical
hoberto said:
I edited my AMCAS PS for the AACOMAS only to reduce the length since the character limits were different. (I don't know if that is true this year.) I said the same thing in each. The AACOMAS was just a bit more descriptive.

Do not bother writing about how you love DO for the primary. I think every DO school I applied to asked this question in the secondary and then frequently in the interviews as well.

Use the PS to stand out from the crowd and make them believe you really want and need to be a physician.
Thanks Hoberto! I totally agree with you.
 

LT2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
801
1
Status
Medical Student
i used much of my AMCAS essay for AACOMAS but i did tailor it a bit to focus on DO principles etc. i included my involvement with SOMA and some of my osteo experiences/activities. i also spent a sentence or two explaining why DO. others have mentioned don't explain why DO in too much depth here...i agree, you'll have PLENTY of space to do that with secondaries. good luck!
 

doc G

RESPECT MY AUTHORITA!!
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
227
0
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
I used the same for both...just a little shortened version for D.O....I did not even mention D.O. in my primary letter. But when the secondary came in I let loose with the D.O. convictions. It seemed to flow....first why I wanted to become a doctor( primary)..then why I wanted to become an osteopathic doctor( secondaries)
 

Monkey12

Monkey12
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
416
0
37
Status
doc G said:
I used the same for both...just a little shortened version for D.O....I did not even mention D.O. in my primary letter. But when the secondary came in I let loose with the D.O. convictions. It seemed to flow....first why I wanted to become a doctor( primary)..then why I wanted to become an osteopathic doctor( secondaries)
Great!
 

QCOM2006

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
38
0
Status
Medical Student
doc G said:
I used the same for both...just a little shortened version for D.O....I did not even mention D.O. in my primary letter. But when the secondary came in I let loose with the D.O. convictions. It seemed to flow....first why I wanted to become a doctor( primary)..then why I wanted to become an osteopathic doctor( secondaries)
That's what I did as well.
 
About the Ads