AMCAS question!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATHELP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying for the fee assistance program-which pays for some of your application fees if you cannot do so yourself. It takes about 2-5 business days to approve. I'm done with my AMCAS application, but if I submit it, I will be disqualified for funding. I planned on submitting the application this week, but because I was absent-minded and didn't check that I could apply for this funding, it now may be delayed. Do you think handing in my application during the first week of July is a bad idea? (I'm taking the August MCAT.) Do you think it will make a difference? Also, another question, I have selected 25 schools. How do I narrow down the list!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't a difference because med schools won't look at your app till your august scores are in. So it looks like you got some time.

Delaying AMCAS submission until the first week of July is not a problem; that is still early.

Many schools will review your app and send secondaries before they get your August MCAT score. Getting the fee waiver will save you perhaps thousands of dollars and is completely worthwhile. Apply even if you think you have the slightest chance of getting it.

For narrowing down schools, get realistic about geography and climate (can you handle a long cold winter in the Midwest?); decide whether you want to live in a big city; do you want to be far from or near to friends and family; are you prepared to pay out of state tuition of $30-50K at a state school every year, if it is one where you can't become in-state after the first year; what does the school offer in scholarship $; where will you do your third- and fourth-year rotations; etc.

Someone posted a thread of great advice on one of the forums a couple of months ago. Don't remember who it was, but it presented the questions that prospective med students should consider in choosing schools.

I think you won't qualify for the MCAT fee reduction any more because the deadline was June 18th.
But there's still time to get a waiver for the app. fee. You'll still have to pay $30 each for 15 schools.

Thanks for the help. I realized that I probably should have put this in the pre-allopathic section. Thanks again.