AMCAS & Secondaries Plagiarism??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anongeek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I was too neurotic so I had to create an account and ask this question.

I wrote all my essays and activity descriptions, but do medical schools run the personal statement and all secondaries through a plagiarism software or an automatic check? I have tried Turnitin before in high school and man I don't think that was too realistic because many sentences came back with some degree of similarities. If they do use it, is it through AMCAS or on an individual basis? I know PharmCAS does it, and they stated on the application, which they probably have to disclose it if they do. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm....I'll have to ask my wily old Admissions dean if he does that!

My last manuscript got plagiarism checked...and the editors spanked me for quoting too much from an earlier paper of mine. I had to use a thesaurus to fix it!

Reactions: 1 user

My last manuscript got plagiarism checked...and the editors spanked me for quoting too much from an earlier paper of mine. I had to use a thesaurus to fix it!
Are u melania trump ???:thinking::thinking:

Members don't see this ad :)

lol sorry I guess this is sarcasm? So it's a no?

I suspect that many essays would light up like this:

I haven't always wanted to be a doctor. When I was young, I wanted to be a superhero. I wanted to wear a cape and help people. I particularly wanted to help my grandmother who was sick. I also wanted to help my mother who was very, very sad when my grandmother died at the age of 60. With time, I realized that while I couldn't become a superhero, that doctors are the real superheros. While it is too late to help my grandmother or to relieve my mother's suffering for having lost her mother too soon, I want to help others and to use modern science to do so.

Reactions: 14 users

I haven't always wanted to be a doctor. When I was young, I wanted to be a superhero. I wanted to wear a cape and help people. I particularly wanted to help my grandmother who was sick. I also wanted to help my mother who was very, very sad when my grandmother died at the age of 60. With time, I realized that while I couldn't become a superhero, that doctors are the real superheros. While it is too late to help my grandmother or to relieve my mother's suffering for having lost her mother too soon, I want to help others and to use modern science to do so.

I used an analogy in my introduction paragraph. I couldn't find the source of the analogy so I wrote, "this is one of my favorite age old analogies".

I hope this is deemed appropriate.

I used an analogy in my introduction paragraph. I couldn't find the source of the analogy so I wrote, "this is one of my favorite age old analogies".

I hope this is deemed appropriate.
Yeah, I'm probably being too neurotic.

Can I use this?

• Haha
At one of the large morning session at the 2013 US Davis Premed Conference, several of the panel member for admissions deans noted that applications are typically run thru online checkers/analysis at some point during application process.

Which point of the cycle is it usually? And was it just accepted applicants or all applicants?