AMCAS Work/Activities question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

videcrif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I've been having some difficulty organizing this portion of application specifically with my research experience. So here's the story.
I started research around year ago by doing summer research program, then after it ended I started working for my PI, but then since he had some problems with his grant, i joined the other lab with different PI and different project, but my new lab still collaborates with my old PI, so I go back and forth.
My question is should I include both of those experience under one research entry, or separate them? (they both kinda related, it's an eye research)
Should also separate the summer program from the actual work in lab after it finished?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everybody,

I've been having some difficulty organizing this portion of application specifically with my research experience. So here's the story.
I started research around year ago by doing summer research program, then after it ended I started working for my PI, but then since he had some problems with his grant, i joined the other lab with different PI and different project, but my new lab still collaborates with my old PI, so I go back and forth.
My question is should I include both of those experience under one research entry, or separate them? (they both kinda related, it's an eye research)
Should also separate the summer program from the actual work in lab after it finished?

Thank you

If all the research falls under one focus, then yeah, I'd go with one and save space for other stuff.

Imho lump it all together, but specify that you have worked in several labs which are in the same field. This shows continuity to the adcoms, i.e., that you might have a genuine interest in becoming an ophthalmologist or performing orbital research. That scenario is preferable to the adcoms mistakenly getting the impression that you jump around from lab to lab and you aren't really interested in any one subject but you know you need research experience to get into medical school. Anyway, you can always get letters from each of those labs separately. And you can talk about each of the different projects you worked on while attending any interviews.

And give an estimate of the combined total hours, not each separately. That's my opinion

I'd suggest splitting.... list the summer thing with the hours per week, etc and then list the school year thing separately as it has different hours per week, and a different contact person (different lab). In the explanation of the second item you can explain that you continue to collaborate with the lab where you did the summer thing. Using 2 of 15 spots for research is not a bad thing.