Dec 16, 2010
Status
I am your average US-born White kid. I just happened to have completed my undergraduate degree from Singapore. Now the only MD college in my state - where I have residency - insists that only American UG degrees are acceptable. I checked a few other MD colleges in other states and they all seemed to require US undergraduate degrees. One school even mentioned (think it was a medical college in Houston) that graduate US degrees are not acceptable and an *UG* American degree is needed. Unfortunately it seems most MD schools have this American UG degree requirement.

How about DO schools? Do they have the same requirement?

Cyclist4Ever

7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am your average US-born White kid. I just happened to have completed my undergraduate degree from Singapore. Now the only MD college in my state - where I have residency - insists that only American UG degrees are acceptable. I checked a few other MD colleges in other states and they all seemed to require US undergraduate degrees. One school even mentioned (think it was a medical college in Houston) that graduate US degrees are not acceptable and an *UG* American degree is needed. Unfortunately it seems most MD schools have this American UG degree requirement.

You might want to double check with the schools. I believe majority schools require you to complete your premed classes in the states, not necessary an American degree. You can probably work in the lab/hospital and get a tuition benefit from them.

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Status
Medical Student

I know FSU requires this (an MD school). I have no idea about DO schools. Are there any MD schools in Singapore/SE Asia? because you can get your degree there and move to USA no problems....and with no debt!!!!

OP
B
Dec 16, 2010
Status
I know FSU requires this (an MD school). I have no idea about DO schools. Are there any MD schools in Singapore/SE Asia? because you can get your degree there and move to USA no problems....and with no debt!!!!
I can't go to Singapore now :(
Visa problems because I overstayed by more than one year :( :(

Kgizzle

7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2010
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
They require a US UG degree or some equivalent like Canada. Unfortunately I dont think that Singapore falls under that category.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, sorry bud, I think you'll need to get an American or Canadian undergrad degree.

Jun 23, 2010
Florida
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Did you check to see if any colleges in your area would accept your credits? They may not take them all, but if they accept 50-75% of them, then you can complete another degree in the states in under 1-2 years.

Schools in the Caribbean are always an option! Don't let anyone or anything deter you if you want to be a doctor. Good luck!

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=784397
DO schools usually accept foreign degrees with a WES evaluation. MD schools - not so much.