American Physician Scientists Association (APSA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddytn

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of you may have noticed that APSA has partnered up with SDN in efforts to co-host these forums focused for md-phds and physician scientists in training. Writing for the APSA point of view, I encourage those who are considering a career as a physician scientist to visit our website www.physicianscientists.org to gain more insight as to what this new organization is all about. In an answer to a previous post as to whether this association will be limited to purely MD-PhDs, APSA will not have an inclusive membership. This is geared towards anyone who is interested in pursuing a career as a physician scientist whether it be in the academic setting, industry, or government such as those complete a Master's Degreen and MD, or the Howard Hughes Medical Research Fellows just to name a few. We hope our website will serve as a gateway of information for those interested. The interest from MD-PhD students across the country has been overwhelming in the need for such a national organization. We also proudly count the American Society for Clinical Investigation and the Swiss MD-PhD Association as some of our strongest partners.

Members don't see this ad.

Today is the first time I've come across a notion of a student and trainee oriented physician scientist association. I think this is a wonderful idea. If you need help, I would be excited to get involved in this and help out.

It's awesome that you've partnered up with ASCI-AAP. I had the pleasure of going to the annual ASCI-AAP meeting in Chicago two years ago and it was a fun and educational meeting. BTW, MD and MD/PhD students should seriously look into applying for the Trainee Travel Award and try to attend this meeting. Two years ago, these awards were pretty easy to get since there weren't too many applicants. This meeting is another great opportunity (besides the National MD/PhD student meeting hosted by the Colorado MSTP folks) to network with your fellow MD/PhD trainees (and future colleagues) as well as physician-scientists in a chill, laid-back setting. They also have several panels scheduled where common issues encountered by future physician-scientists and current physician-scientists are discussed. The year I went, the whole issue of female physician-scientists was also discussed; I only mention this since there was another thread on this forum that dealt with this very issue.