PhD/PsyD American studying in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an American who has been considering applying to some Canadian universities for clinical psych programs. Are there any other Americans here who have successfully done this? I have a few questions about the process:
  1. How does licensure after graduation work? Are you just able to practice in Canada, or can you still apply to practice in the States with a Canadian degree?
  2. How's funding? Is tuition remission and/or a stipend available for international students, or is debt basically guaranteed?
  3. Have you noticed any other noteworthy differences between studying in an American vs. Canadian institution?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

How's funding? Is tuition remission and/or a stipend available for international students, or is debt basically guaranteed?
An actual student can give you more details, but this is what I've gathered from speaking with international students in Canadian programs. Different programs have different amounts of funding available for international students, so I would highly recommend contacting current international graduate students to get their take about their programs. Copying and pasting from a different thread:

As an American citizen, you will not qualify for most of the funding from the Tri-Council Agencies (Canada Institutes of Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council); the one exception is the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, which is one of the most competitive and lucrative fellowship programs in Canada. The application process involves being nominated by the institution.

Furthermore, as an American citizen abroad, you will not be able to take many of the major predoctoral fellowship awards (Ford Foundation, NDSEG, NSF GRFP) to a Canadian institution. I have heard that one can use NRSA funding abroad if one can justify why one is seeking training outside of the United States, but I haven't yet run into someone who has done so successfully.

This is not to say that attending a Canadian school is impossible without funding, as the American graduate students who have been generous enough to let me ask have made it work. In particular, because most Canadian graduate students bring Tri-Council funding with them, the department may be able to fund you after a selection process and/or through assistantships (at least in the cases of the programs I investigated).

Another thing worth noting is that your study permit will allow you to work only on campus. If you want to work off-campus, then you will need a study + work permit, which may require consent from your department.

American who studied in Canada here. You can practice in the US or Canada; might be a slightly more annoying process on the licensure end, but both APA and ASPBB have said that they view APA and CPA accreditation as identical, so licensure boards mostly treat them that way. Even if a specific state doesn't refer to CPA accreditation in their licensure laws, the process to prove you've been trained to the appropriate standard isn't very hard, since you will have completed all the courses, training, etc. expected of students in APA accredited programs. Funding is kind of annoying, but not impossible - it does vary a lot from institution to institution. Culturally, America is, in fact, a different country from Canada, which I foolishly didn't consider very much before moving - so you might have to do some cultural adjusting! Particularly if you're going to a part of Canada that's very different from the part of the US you're from (e.g., if you're on the west coast of the US now, west coast Canadian cities like Vancouver and Victoria are going to feel more like home than an Eastern Canadian city like Toronto. Quebec is always going to feel weird). Good luck, OP!

Temperance and temppsych123,

Your responses are detailed and insightful. Looks like Canadian schools are something to carefully consider, but not entirely rule out. Thanks!