American studying the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
My apologies if this question has been asked in the past but was hoping to get some updated information.

I am a masters prepared nurse in the US. However, I have decided that I want to pursue my medical education in the UK and then plan on staying after. How does this work given that I am not 18 years, have a masters degree in nursing and am an older non-traditional student? I am unfamiliar with the admissions process in the UK for medical school and don't know if it is the same for the UK? Do I have to take an exam like the MCAT? Is it competitive or am I automatically branched into a different pool of applicants given my status and age? How much does medical school cost and how long would it be for me? Is it still 5 years? And then residency? Can we take out loans as Americans to help with this? Anything else I am missing I would welcome feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can apply to traditional 5 year program and select 4 year programs, look at each of their websites. 4 year programs are called grad entry medicine (GEM). Generally speaking the bigger universities have GEM programs that take international students.

You need to write the UKCAT most likely, maybe the BMAT. It is dependent on which schools you apply to. You can only apply to 4 5/6 year program schools and i'm not sure if there are limits to GEM applications.

The application system you need to use is UCAS.

After medical school you do 2 years of foundation training which is similar to an internship in the US before starting residency. Training in the UK is longer because of this, but you are making a salary during foundation training.

Reactions: 1 user