American/U.KDental School Vs Sub-Continent Dental Schools(Pakistan,India,Sri Lanka)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saahakhan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear friends,
i was just thinking what could be the deficient or extra ordinary points in these two different parts of worlds. can anybody share there views on
Differece between American/U.K Dental Schools and Sub-Continent Dental Schools(Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka etc) in both Theory and Clinical aspects of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty sure that amalgam is illegal in the UK

Members don't see this ad :)
saahakhan said:
can anybody share there views on
Differece between American/U.K Dental Schools

and Sub-Continent Dental Schools(Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka etc) in both Theory and Clinical aspects of Dentistry

Let's face it, dentistry is about the same whereever you go. But There is a difference! I'd have to say that the main difference lies in money and resources. Dentists make more money in Australia, UK, Canada, and US; than in countries like india, pakistan, sri-Lanka.

By the same token, because of this major difference. (Money) For the most part dental schools in Australia, US, Canada, and UK are much better equiped and professors better trained than in places like India.

Your probably not going to get access to the latest advances in materials and techniques going to dental school in Pakistan.

Dr.Millisevert said:
You sure about that?

Sorry, I meant amalgam is illegal in the Scandanavian countries.

Also, amalgam is illegal for children and pregnant women in Canada.

I agree on some points.
Dentists in countries like India and Pakistan definitely make less money than dentists in US, UK and Australia. But then they dont have to spend on malpractise insurance!
Believe it or not, the quality of dental treatment as far as the materials used is comparable to US. Most of the latest materials are available in India. the limitation is that using these materials is possible only in upmarket practises because poor patients cannot afford expensive treatment.

As for the dental schools, there are government funded as well as private dental school in India. There is definitely a shortage of expensive dental materials in government dental schools, which are available in the private schools.

There are qualified professors too. But there are definitely limitations for research. Research facilities are not so developed and are not as easily available.

sorry everyone i was busy in my 3rd year exams so couldn't contribute to this thread. i hope that someone again starts contributing here.
According to me
Dental treatment is also expensive in sub-continent as compared to other medical treatments.
But one thing that sub-continent Dentists have advantage that during there student life or learning stage they can have variety of Patients e.g oral carcinoma's , Huge Ameloblastoma. Also in student life they could do Impactions if they are interested. isn't it?

saahakhan said:
sorry everyone i was busy in my 3rd year exams so couldn't contribute to this thread. i hope that someone again starts contributing here.
According to me
Dental treatment is also expensive in sub-continent as compared to other medical treatments.
But one thing that sub-continent Dentists have advantage that during there student life or learning stage they can have variety of Patients e.g oral carcinoma's , Huge Ameloblastoma. Also in student life they could do Impactions if they are interested. isn't it?

yup.. ure right..
u get to c a large variety of cases... but there again. government colleges have the advantage og large number of patients.. i mean they get min 300-500 new patients evrey day.. so the experiance u get is invaluable.. but u dont have the advantage of working with newer materials .or using the latest tech. which a private student does... but the number of cases seen are lesser..