Americans at Canadian med schools--McGill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kattyboomboom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Americans want to share their experiences at Canadian med school, specifically McGill? Was there any problem with matching/boards? There seems to be mixed opinions about whether Americans at McGill are considered IMGs...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Though not American but currently attending McGill, I can say with certainty that American students matriculating from McGill are defintiely not considered IMGs...in fact, Canadians matriculating at any Canadian medical school are considered on par with their American counterparts...

good luck and feel free to post any additional questions :)

-prag

kattyboomboom said:
Any Americans want to share their experiences at Canadian med school, specifically McGill? Was there any problem with matching/boards? There seems to be mixed opinions about whether Americans at McGill are considered IMGs...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
McGill is one of the top Medical Schools in the world. No bias on my part:)

The McGill Faculty of Medicine is amazing. I am American and jumped at the chance to go to McGill for med school. I received acceptances to a number of American medical schools, but McGill was the clear choice. There is an incredible amount of history at McGill. Williamm Osler, the best known western physician, was a McGill grad. Wilder Penfeld, one of the most prominent neurosurgeons in history, was at the Montreal Neurological Institutre for years where he helped to map the brain. Brenda Milner also did ground breaking experiments at the MNI where she elucidated the function of the hippocampus. CEA, the first tumor marker, was discovered by Phil Gold at the Montreal General Hospital. The bottom line is that McGill is a very high end institution and anyone lucky enough to be admitted should jump at the chance to go. Americans have no fear....I am sure you will get whatever residency you want in the states. Everyone in my class matched very well. A list of names where people matched were Cornell, Columbia, MGH. Brigham and Duke.

I'll be starting residency there this July and I'm pretty excited.

Any advice or tips for someone moving out there from the states?

What do you think are some of the differences in doing residency at Mcgill compared to programs in the states?

Are there any cell phone plans that make sense for someone who will be calling in Canada and America frequently? Names of cell phone providers? Or other options (eg internet phone)?

Do most residents buy or rent? Where are some of the better places to live considering location, value, and ability to resell?

I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks :)