AmeriCorps gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheemu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just got accepted into an AmeriCorps program for July 22nd 2016, ending July 21st 2017. I'm also going to be reapplying to medical school as soon as it becomes available in June. Does this plan make sense? Medical school only begins early August 2017 at most right, as long as I end my AmeriCorps commitment before end of July it should all be good? And save my sick/vacation days for interviews in January/February/March? I doubt I'd be able to include it as part of my application right, since I wouldn't have started yet technically by time of submission in June. Anyone else that's been in my situation before, what else have you done to prepare for medical school while serving?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently serving in an AmeriCorps-like program that will be ending in July as well. You should have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! AmeriCorps is a fantastic use of your time! Thank you for serving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I just got accepted into an AmeriCorps program for July 22nd 2016, ending July 21st 2017. I'm also going to be reapplying to medical school as soon as it becomes available in June. Does this plan make sense? Medical school only begins early August 2017 at most right, as long as I end my AmeriCorps commitment before end of July it should all be good? And save my sick/vacation days for interviews in January/February/March? I doubt I'd be able to include it as part of my application right, since I wouldn't have started yet technically by time of submission in June. Anyone else that's been in my situation before, what else have you done to prepare for medical school while serving?

Sheemu, as someone who worked & volunteered abroad for a couple years and did TFA (an Americorps program) before submitting my app, DO IT--if it's something you're really enthusiastic about.

In my opinion, a service-based gap year(s) is essential for a well rounded human being and helping others directly in a low paying service program like AC will give you an idea (if you have it not already) of what it is like to be living paycheck to paycheck in low-income communities. It's just such an excellent chance to: serve, live in a different area, break out of your comfort zone, interact and learn from people who are different than you, have some fun, and enjoy/struggle being 22 years old.

All physicians who went directly into medical school that I have ever spoken to about this exact subject said, basically, "I wish I did something like that when I was your age" or "I should have traveled more before kids, etc."

You're ~22 years old. Medical school isn't going anywhere. If you want to be a physician right away, go ahead and go straight into med school. No judgment. But if you want to go, go. It's not a waste of time, it won't hurt (and will probably help) your app, and, if you do the job well, you'll be a better doctor for it.

Reactions: 1 users
The way it worked for me was if you completed your hours early you could just GTFO a few weeks to a month before your term was up. Probably site specific though.

Last edited:
Almost exactly what I am doing right now. I haven't had problems getting time off for interviews and I will be done middle of July. Just make sure you manage your money well with paying for flights on an AmeriCorps stipend.

Also, you are right it won't be on your primary and you probably won't be able to talk much about it on secondaries. But it can be great conversation in interviews and also something worthwhile to talk about when sending any updates.

Perfect, thanks a lot guys! I'm really excited

As an AmeriCorps alum, I will have to caution you that depending on the program you get, it's not necessarily a pleasant "walk in the park". Be sure to do your research on the program that you get into and how other people have felt going while doing it. You'll have the opportunity to do many life-changing things, but, keep in mind that certain labor laws dont apply since you're not technically "employed." Have fun, but make sure those in charge know your boundaries.

Reactions: 1 users
ditto to everything said above. It's ideal if you have parental support to help with housing, etc. because otherwise the stipend is not sufficient to cover COL, applications, leisure, etc.

Your experience can vary on what program you're doing and the site you're placed at. I've had a great experience with my role but would be miserable in some of the roles my cohort members have, so be sure to do your research and ask lots of questions about the roles you interview for.

Although you won't be able to put it on your primary AMCAS, it's a great thing to update your current activities through secondaries and to talk about during interviews.