AmeriCorps "Projected" Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Macrophage

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read some posts stating that projected hours are mostly ignored due to the potential for them to not be honored. But I was wondering if that holds true for a program like AmeriCorps, where you're committed to complete a certain number of hours? Would doing AmeriCorps doing a gap application year be irrelevant for the application?

I've been considering AmeriCorps for a while, as I want to work with a specific underserved population with which I identify.

Thanks!

EDIT AND LOCK: After PMing with Frogjumper I came to the decision that I do want to pursue AmeriCorps. Thank you all for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be committed to a program when I apply. It shouldn't go as one of my 15 activities?
If you haven't started your service year yet, you won't have anything meaningful to talk about in the activity description. Additionally, projected hours still won't carry much weight because even if you've "committed," things can still change. I only did half of my service year because family circumstances changed unexpectedly and it wasn't feasible to basically work for free anymore. I still got great experience and lots of volunteer hours, though.

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't started your service year yet, you won't have anything meaningful to talk about in the activity description. Additionally, projected hours still won't carry much weight because even if you've "committed," things can still change. I only did half of my service year because family circumstances changed unexpectedly and it wasn't feasible to basically work for free anymore. I still got great experience and lots of volunteer hours, though.
Is there any benefit to working with AmeriCorps then, if I can work with the same population outside of the program and get a more reasonable living wage?

Is there any benefit to working with AmeriCorps then, if I can work with the same population outside of the program and get a more reasonable living wage?
Whether employed or volunteering with a program that pays a small stipend, what will catch a reviewer's eye will be your service to a population in need and how that relates to your long term goals.

Reactions: 2 users
I am an accepted MD from this cycle. Wanted to comment to say that I did AmeriCorps during my gap year (currently still serving right now) and had to count it all as "projected" hours. I didn't talk about it too much in my secondaries since my program started in August, and I had my secondaries in by then. However, this was a huge topic during my interviews, and my interviewers all loved that I did AmeriCorps. I really felt like it did help me a lot once I got to the interview stage. Not sure how much it really helped me to get interviews though.

I also want to say that doing a service year is very challenging and the pay is quite literally awful. I only recommend to those who are very committed to the population they are serving because there are much easier/higher paying jobs out there. DM me if you want to talk more about it!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.