AMG vs IMG in fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With regards to IM fellowships, competitive ones, GI, All, Heme, and maybe even pulm/cc (and maaybe even cardio). Is it still much more advantageous to be AMG or does it not matter much anymore at that time? I ask b/c IMG usually enter with more research, a lot even have their PhDs, thus more papers etc. It seems like many AMGs would be at a disadvantage when compared to their profile. When I see a national GI match rate of ~60%, are most of those who didn't match IMG, or is it a fairly even distribution? One of my attendings who completed Cardio fellowship 2 years ago told me that cardio is easy to get into if you are an AMG, Just wondering if this is true, and if it is, if it apply to other subspecialties as well. [When i say match into GI, i mean any program. I know SDN ppl like to talk about the top 3 or whatever, but i'm including community GI programs and whatever as well]

Also wondering b/c i'm applying... and I'm interested in GI [even if salaries went down...] but not too interested in being a hospitalist..

Members don't see this ad.

Matching into fellowship depend on1. who you know,2. how strong is your residency and 3 your credentials.
Many IMGs have the credentiasl but for residency they might end up in small unknown community programs (2)...hence they might not work with big name cardiologists (1) So by the end of the day it is still more challenging for an IMG.
If u are an IMG from a very strong program.....and u have better credentials...then u going to be more competitive.
Bottomline PHD from an unknown program isnt going to displace an AMG with no publication from Brigham in terms of competition

Reactions: 1 user