Amino Acid memorization tools(for visual learners)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontforgetxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any resources which have videos/pictures for memorization of the Amino Acids (names, characteristics and structures)? I'm a really visual learner and resources like PicMonic and Sketchy Micro are really helpful but I haven't been able to find one for the amino acids yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any resources which have videos/pictures for memorization of the Amino Acids (names, characteristics and structures)? I'm a really visual learner and resources like PicMonic and Sketchy Micro are really helpful but I haven't been able to find one for the amino acids yet.

Hello Dear,

I am a visual learner too. I found this link a few days ago, take a look: http://leah4sci.com/introduction-to-amino-acids-in-mcat-biochemistry/
Also, I suggest you draw and redraw them them. For example, draw the aliphatic ones in one page, compare them and see how they differ. Example: valine and isoleucine is only a methyl group.
You know the structure of one, you can remember the other one.
These are the things I realize when I am drawing them.

I hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
Google "amino acid flashcards." There should be dozens of sets created for the MCAT, especially on Quizlet and Cram. I'm almost entirely dependent upon visual cues for learning concepts like how molecular bonding occurs or understanding polarity, so I'm in the same boat as you. Flashcards helped a ton.

Like @sh.h I recommend drawing and redrawing them. Drew the structure, wrote the name (+3 letter, and one letter abbreviations) every day for 20 days. Takes like 30 minutes a day and I can't forget them if I tried.