1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Amino Acid: Net Charge

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by justadream, Sep 27, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Just want to get this straight:

At pH = 7:

Acidic amino acids are negatively charged.

Basic amino acids are positively charged except for histidine which is negatively charged (since it has pKa of side chain = 6.1)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wuhsabee

wuhsabee BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    That's correct!

4. DaAlienist

DaAlienist

Mar 9, 2017
    I was wondering for phosphopantothenate in an aqueous solution at physiological pH, why would both the OH's on the phosphate group be deprotonated? I googled the pKa's of the OH groups on the phosphate, and it tells me that pKa1 ~ 2 and pKa2 ~ 7.

If that is true, why does the 2nd OH deprotonate in this case? I didn't know the pKa's, so how can I figure out that both the OH's will be deprotonated?

[​IMG]

5. aldol16

aldol16

Nov 1, 2015
    MDApps:
    I know the original post was answered long ago, but nobody seems to have caught that His is actually neutral at pH 7. The C-terminus is deprotonated, the N-terminus is protonated, and the side chain is uncharged, making for a net neutral charge.

ys2327 likes this.
  6. aldol16

aldol16

Nov 1, 2015
    MDApps:
    Note that those values are for phosphoric acid and since this is an anhydride, it may be a little different (I don't know how much).