SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Amino Acid: Net Charge

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by justadream, Sep 27, 2014.

1. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Just want to get this straight:

At pH = 7:

Acidic amino acids are negatively charged.

Basic amino acids are positively charged except for histidine which is negatively charged (since it has pKa of side chain = 6.1)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wuhsabee

wuhsabee BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. 5+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2011
    That's correct!

4. DaAlienist

DaAlienist

Mar 9, 2017
    I was wondering for phosphopantothenate in an aqueous solution at physiological pH, why would both the OH's on the phosphate group be deprotonated? I googled the pKa's of the OH groups on the phosphate, and it tells me that pKa1 ~ 2 and pKa2 ~ 7.

If that is true, why does the 2nd OH deprotonate in this case? I didn't know the pKa's, so how can I figure out that both the OH's will be deprotonated?

[​IMG]

5. aldol16

aldol16 2+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2015
    MDApps:
    I know the original post was answered long ago, but nobody seems to have caught that His is actually neutral at pH 7. The C-terminus is deprotonated, the N-terminus is protonated, and the side chain is uncharged, making for a net neutral charge.

ys2327 likes this.
  6. aldol16

aldol16 2+ Year Member

Nov 1, 2015
    MDApps:
    Note that those values are for phosphoric acid and since this is an anhydride, it may be a little different (I don't know how much).