AMO worldwide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpack87

IMG, Peru
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anybody have any experience with the AMO Worldwide program? They charge a fee to find you a spot that suits you for doing an observership or clerkship. Looks pretty good. Has anyone used it before? How was it? Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard about it but i would make sure someone else who's done it has recommended it before going. Its quite expensive.

What I would do is maybe sign up for it (make sure you can get your deposit back) and then look for some yourself. If you find one yourself then take that and if you don't and they find one for you take theirs.

Im currently studying for my step 1, due June 17th. So just out of curiosity I signed up to AMO and they already have some options available for July. Which is a lot sooner than what I expected to get if I scouted on my own. They also say that I do not have to pay until I choose the option I like the most, and that it is completely refundable if I cancel later. I left it at that and want to do what you suggest, which is to get some reference from someone that has used this service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently studying for my step 1, due June 17th. So just out of curiosity I signed up to AMO and they already have some options available for July. Which is a lot sooner than what I expected to get if I scouted on my own. They also say that I do not have to pay until I choose the option I like the most, and that it is completely refundable if I cancel later. I left it at that and want to do what you suggest, which is to get some reference from someone that has used this service.
Hey so I was wondering of any of you found anything more about the services in AMO from anyone who has already used it? I'm planning to go in Feb and they are the only service that have physicians in Boston which is where I want to go. Their web page isn't very informative either.. Anyone found out anything?

I didnt follow up on the guys on AMO, but I got to ask a friend here in Peru that did a rotation in Harvard with them, and said that they are ok (but this is a medical student, not an IMG). Then I made some research on other similar services. Check out the following:

https://www.imgprep.com/foreign-medical-graduates
http://americlerkships.org/
http://fmgportal.com/clinical-externships/
http://www.fmgaffordable.com/

And most of them have a more informative webpage than AMO. About Boston, I know Americlerckships have Internal Medicine spots in Boston, because they offered me one. You can chat with them online at their webpage or even have a skype session with them and talk about timing, availbale spots, pricing, documentation and everything you want to know for free.

I also researched a bit on FMGaffordable, and it looks like a cool service. I even asked a guy from my country that used it, and said it was very useful and he liked it a lot. It seems very personalized. Check out the personal reviews in their webpage.

I do not want to be the person that shares bad news or misinforms other people, but on the other hand, while I was subscribed with the AMO guys, I got a series of emails from a person that was enrolled with them and had serious porblems, he sent those emails to almost everyone to put pressure on AMO for a refund. It made me hesitate on wether I should go with them. If you msg me your email I can forward you those emails so that you can read about it, sounded like nasty business. :thumbdown:

I believe in increasing the availability of educational experiences to all parts of the world. With technology fast on the rise, it is becoming easier and easier to communicate with each other, share ideas, and change the way knowledge is transmitted. Through facilitation of innovative educational opportunities, such as clinical internships and world-class webinars, AMO aims to empower the world’s physicians of tomorrow.

Hello. I just got a research elective acceptance from Harvard via AMO worldwide, but I am not really sure whether to go for it because I don't really know anyone who has done electives via AMO. Suggestions, anyone?

Even i got an elective from them but i didnt come across any student reviews about there service.
And next to that they offered me an elective in NYU and alas nyu isn't offering any electives this year and i mailed them regarding the same and they didnt reply back...so i am confused and its tricky

Hey guys, any updates? I’m thinking of using one of these services too as my elective posting will be on January, it’s too late for me to apply the institution itself. So would like to try on these agents. Any suggestions???