Amount of study time for MCAT

Started by octap
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

First question: Have you been taking AAMC practice tests with 29-30 avg or third party practice tests? If you're getting 30 avg and you are sure that your only weakness is content, then I think 3 weeks of content review is more than enough time to get up to 33 (depending on how well you learn and review). Content is easy, test-taking skills are not.
 
Personally, I think that a 12 is something anyone can achieve in PS if they have solid content knowledge. And by that I mean, knows the relevant formulas/applications for any question cold, kind of solid. 13+ probably requires either talent (which you seem to have) or luck. Bio I would say you can get up to an 11 or 12 by knowing content really well. Above that requires better all around higher order thinking skills. Seems like you have a good "base" as far as test-taking goes (usually a high early VR score is indicative of a good base), so I would tentatively say that your content ceiling is 14 for PS and 13~ for bio. Assuming your VR stays at a static 10, I would estimate you could go up to a 36/37. This is assuming you have been 100% honest about the state of your content knowledge. The other factor would also be how quickly you can really learn all the content you're missing.