Quantcast

amount of studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7

72531


Members don't see this ad.
I am going to be taking the August MCAT. I haven't had 8 hours of day to study like I see some people doing because I am taking a class until mid July and I might have a part time job soon. I was wondering how much people in my position study typically? Even better, how much studying a week/month/total? I know its different for everyone but I just wanted some idea.
 

txlioness

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
355
Reaction score
4
i am very busy...

I am taking 5 classes this summer, including O Chem II, plus studying for the MCAT.

I am a mom of 2 boys, married and I work fulltime (40 hrs per week). I study every chance I get. At work, on my lunch hour, after work, etc. I find that having a schedule and calendar to track all of my classes and study time, I do okay. It keeps me from stressing out b/c I just do what I have scheduled each day.

Good luck, we will all need it :luck:
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

CptCrunch

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
837
Reaction score
73
txlioness said:
i am very busy...

I am taking 5 classes this summer, including O Chem II, plus studying for the MCAT.

I am a mom of 2 boys, married and I work fulltime (40 hrs per week). I study every chance I get. At work, on my lunch hour, after work, etc. I find that having a schedule and calendar to track all of my classes and study time, I do okay. It keeps me from stressing out b/c I just do what I have scheduled each day.

Good luck, we will all need it :luck:

Wow, how the heck do you all that?
 

txlioness

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
355
Reaction score
4
i don't know :confused: I just do.

I just try to stay extremely focused and use my time wisely. I always have something on my mind to do. If I can work ahead in a class, I do. It takes the pressure off if I need to work more on something for another class. If I'm not driving, I'm studying. If I am driving, I study at stop lights, sometimes they can be pretty long. :) I don't have anything audio but I'm working on that.

I still do cleaning, laundry and yard work around the house. That just how I am. Glutton for punishment. I tend to do better when under a certain level of stress. If I have too much idle time, I procrastinate.

Plus, my hubby is really supportive. :D Thank God for that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
3,596
Reaction score
3
Despite all my good intentions, I ended up studying perhaps 20 hours total maybe for the April, 2006 exam. Just glancing over topics and refreshing my mind about old stuff I took. I got about half way through one practice exam, did verbal, and half a physical sciences section. I do not recommend doing this. However, I am still confident that I did at least fair on the exam because I have been in school and taking tests for such a long time (almost done with my second masters now) that i've gotten pretty good with standardized testing. The key is in knowing how to take these types of tests and in being a compentant and fast reader/writer (I read quite a lot). Time will tell though. We will know next Tuesday whether or not to throw away this advice.
 
7

72531

txlioness said:
i am very busy...

I am taking 5 classes this summer, including O Chem II, plus studying for the MCAT.

I am a mom of 2 boys, married and I work fulltime (40 hrs per week). I study every chance I get. At work, on my lunch hour, after work, etc. I find that having a schedule and calendar to track all of my classes and study time, I do okay. It keeps me from stressing out b/c I just do what I have scheduled each day.

Good luck, we will all need it :luck:


wow, i salute you. sound like a very busy woman! good luck to you too :]
 

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
0
kristy117 said:
I am going to be taking the August MCAT. I haven't had 8 hours of day to study like I see some people doing because I am taking a class until mid July and I might have a part time job soon. I was wondering how much people in my position study typically? Even better, how much studying a week/month/total? I know its different for everyone but I just wanted some idea.

I have been working 6-6 and 8-8 twelve hour shifts. I will come home and go straight to studying so I can have the rest of the night to do what needs to be done around the house or so I can just sit back and relax. Generally, it is about 2-3 hours of "quality" study time 6 days a week. Good luck!
 

maple_us

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
txlioness said:
i don't know :confused: I just do.

I just try to stay extremely focused and use my time wisely. I always have something on my mind to do. If I can work ahead in a class, I do. It takes the pressure off if I need to work more on something for another class. If I'm not driving, I'm studying. If I am driving, I study at stop lights, sometimes they can be pretty long. :) I don't have anything audio but I'm working on that.

I still do cleaning, laundry and yard work around the house. That just how I am. Glutton for punishment. I tend to do better when under a certain level of stress. If I have too much idle time, I procrastinate.

Plus, my hubby is really supportive. :D Thank God for that.
you are a superwoman , i guess!!
 
Top