AMSA Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.Furfur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any benefits worth the membership rate? Any complaints?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering joining for the health insurance. They have all the details on their site. It seems to be a much better deal than the student policy my school is offering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering joining for the health insurance. They have all the details on their site. It seems to be a much better deal than the student policy my school is offering.

I personally am not a fan of their health insurance, but then I'm over 30, so my rates would be huge. Luckily my school's policy doesn't set rates based on age. Also, I think the caps on AMSA's policy are a little too low if you really got sick.

I do use the AMSA car insurance discount. I also signed up for USMLERx with the discount, so eh, there's some things. If you really hate AMSA, it's probably not worth it.

Just look at their priorities page:

http://www.amsa.org/about/priorities.cfm

1. Quality, Affordable Health Care for All
2. Global Health Equity
3. Enriching Medicine Through Diversity
4. Professional Integrity, Development and Student Well-Being

By all means join if you support their left-wing causes, but do recognize that the American Medical STUDENT Association spends 90% of its efforts on left-wing health care policy, and the other 10% on recruiting more dues-paying members. That doesn't leave much left to support things like, say, Student Causes? At least, that's my take from my local AMSA chapter and the national AMSA website.

Just look at their priorities page:

http://www.amsa.org/about/priorities.cfm

1. Quality, Affordable Health Care for All
2. Global Health Equity
3. Enriching Medicine Through Diversity
4. Professional Integrity, Development and Student Well-Being

By all means join if you support their left-wing causes, but do recognize that the American Medical STUDENT Association spends 90% of its efforts on left-wing health care policy, and the other 10% on recruiting more dues-paying members. That doesn't leave much left to support things like, say, Student Causes? At least, that's my take from my local AMSA chapter and the national AMSA website.

Yeah unfortunately I'm at odds with most of their political positions and I don't want to support them financially. But their insurance is better than my school-sponsored policy and is like $800 cheaper per year. I'm considering selling out to save money.

This fall will be my first time buying my own health insurance. Does anyone know another medium I can go through to buy a plan comparable to AMSA's in coverage and cost?

It is a good resume builder if nothign else. Not sure how much it builds, but I am sure that it will take up at least one line of future application forms!

It is a good resume builder if nothign else. Not sure how much it builds, but I am sure that it will take up at least one line of future application forms!

Not really. Residency directors know that being an AMSA member means paying an annual fee... and that's it.

Not really. Residency directors know that being an AMSA member means paying an annual fee... and that's it.
Yeah, bu they also know that if you were not a memeber that you are to lazy to add things (even minor) to you app to at least try and improve. Shows them that you arent willing to put in effort /(money) to try and improve just a smidge.

Yeah, bu they also know that if you were not a memeber that you are to lazy to add things (even minor) to you app to at least try and improve. Shows them that you arent willing to put in effort /(money) to try and improve just a smidge.

I'm actually wondering if you're being sarcastic here. I've got to say I'd be really surprised if anybody was impressed that someone signed up for AMSA or any other club without actively participating.

Admittedly I know almost nothing about the match process, but I know in general club membership without leadership doesn't show much of anything.

Nah it's not good anything. If you join AMSA you might as well join the American Communist Party too.

I'm actually wondering if you're being sarcastic here. I've got to say I'd be really surprised if anybody was impressed that someone signed up for AMSA or any other club without actively participating.

Admittedly I know almost nothing about the match process, but I know in general club membership without leadership doesn't show much of anything.

Nah it's not good anything. If you join AMSA you might as well join the American Communist Party too.

Damn. You guys may be right about actually having to participate for it to look good. Otherwise it is just words written down without any story behind why you did it..hmmm... I guess then I joined for nothing......no wait
I joined because it came with a free Netters! (haha) :laugh: (hey maybe I should write that down too!)

Damn. You guys may be right about actually having to participate for it to look good. Otherwise it is just words written down without any story behind why you did it..hmmm... I guess then I joined for nothing......no wait
I joined because it came with a free Netters! (haha) :laugh: (hey maybe I should write that down too!)

Realize also that residencies tend not to care about extracurricular activities at all. It is VERY different from medical school. Med schools want well rounded individuals they can advertise in pamphlets. Residencies want workers (they'd hire a robot if they could half the time).

So unless you're the national president of AMSA or something, it probably won't matter at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which you can immediately cancel with one toll free phone call. Not a lot of effort for free stuff.
Or you can do what I did and give a fake address. They will decline you because they cant look up your credit as no one by that name lives where you put down! Now who got played!:laugh:

Or you can do what I did and give a fake address. They will decline you because they cant look up your credit as no one by that name lives where you put down! Now who got played!:laugh:

It's actually illegal to apply for a credit card with knowingly false info. My suggestion stays within the bounds of the law, and the result is the same.

It's actually illegal to apply for a credit card with knowingly false info. My suggestion stays within the bounds of the law, and the result is the same.
I did not KNOWINGLY give a wrong address. My finger must have slipped onto another key (#) when I was filling out my application which just so happened to change my address. (me and my bad typing skills...darn):cool:

Which you can immediately cancel with one toll free phone call. Not a lot of effort for free stuff.

Sure, but do keep in mind that your credit score is also based on the average age of accounts and doing this can cause it to drop enough that future loans could be in jeopardy. Once is probably not a big deal but don't make a habit of it.

Speaking of the whole credit card thing....

I find it terribly ironic that a group that prides itself on fighting the ever increasing evil of medical student debt.. continues to happily get a kickback pushing a credit card on medical students.

Well, the free Netter (and I agree about canceling the credit card) pretty much pays for the membership fee. And AMSA offers some other discounts on books, hotels, etc.

I would suggest looking into your school's chapter to see what they are involved with. At my school, for example, AMA is very political (they are planning a trip to Washington DC) while AMSA is much more about the local community - Halloween party for diabetic kids kind of stuff. The New Physician (magazine from AMSA) has some interesting articles. I went to a regional convention as a pre-med and will be going to the national convention in March. At the regional convention, I attended a wonderful talk on domestic violence, a very original activity on judging people (I usually hate racism/sexism stuff, but this activity was really cool), learned a bit about the mind-body connection, etc. Yes, a lot of the focus is universal coverage, but just because you listen to people talk about it doesn't mean you have to get involved in the cause.

I find it terribly ironic that a group that prides itself on fighting the ever increasing evil of medical student debt.. continues to happily get a kickback pushing a credit card on medical students.

I'd go beyond irony and say hypocrisy. They are against "the man" and corporate America, yet are in bed with an E-vil financial institution to gain members. Maybe AMSA is actually part of the WTO too!

Can't be though. They have THEE BEST drum circles and a huge purple wizard at their Summer meeting. Now THAT's what looking out for your member's best interest is all about.:rolleyes:

Kumbayah,

racerx

Can't be though. They have THEE BEST drum circles and a huge purple wizard at their Summer meeting. Now THAT's what looking out for your member's best interest is all about.:rolleyes:

4.jpg

The Wizard is angered by your mocking.

4.jpg

The Wizard is angered by your mocking.

:scared::scared::scared::scared:
:laugh:

I'm glad someone pulled up the picture! I was too lazy (part of being a capitalist pig). Actually, was studying.

I wonder if they chant the following:

Misty morning, clouds in the sky
Without warning, the wizard walks by
Casting his shadow, weaving his spell
Funny clothes, tinkling bell

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

Evil power disappears
Demons worry when the wizard is near
He turns tears into joy
Everyones happy when the wizard walks by

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

Sun is shining, clouds have gone by
All the people give a happy sigh
He has passed by, giving his sign
Left all the people feeling so fine

Never talking
Just keeps walking
Spreading his magic

:laugh:
OMG I thought the wizard was some imaginary joke I had no idea it was real. Maybe if someone had told me about that I might have joined.

I love how at every one of the anti-corporate AMSA's events we wash down pizza from Domino's with Pepsi.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got a chuckle out of this. On a similar note, a friend of mine recently told me how our school's chapter of AMSA was planning on having a lunchtime panel, showcasing the perceived "conflicts of interest" and "dangers" of consorting with the pharmaceutical industry (e.g. getting a free lunch, free pens, free stuff in general). The objective, to my understanding, was to get medical students here to sign a petition or pledge of some sort, with the ultimate goal of rendering pharma reps unable offer anything to medical students at this institution.

Here's the kicker. The method by which they planned to entice said students to the panel to hear their pitch? Offering us free lunch. :)

Whatever happened to practicing what you preach? Nice try, AMSA. :thumbdown:

Needless to say, I opted not to join AMSA as an incoming MS1. Not only are their priorities not the same as my priorities - I simply don't think they have our (medical students') best interests at heart.

Whatever happened to practicing what you preach? Nice try, AMSA. :thumbdown:

Needless to say, I opted not to join AMSA as an incoming MS1. Not only are their priorities not the same as my priorities - I simply don't think they have our (medical students') best interests at heart.

But they would say that they do have medical students' best interests at heart, because medical students are future doctors, and doctors should promote health, and clearly society's health will not be maximal until equal universal coverage is acheived. They would say that anyone who thinks doctors' interests conflict with universal equal access to health care with a focus on preventive medicine and public health is selfish and shouldn't be in med school.

BTW, you and several other posters in this thread have made a common mistake, one conservatives typically make when criticizing liberals. You have assumed that AMSA can somehow be combated by pointing out that they are hypocrites, as if they care about being logically consistent. But they don't care about being logically consistent, they care about advancing left-wing causes. Why should they care if they appear hypocritical, as long as they continue to get their way?

BTW, you and several other posters in this thread have made a common mistake, one conservatives typically make when criticizing liberals. You have assumed that AMSA can somehow be combated by pointing out that they are hypocrites, as if they care about being logically consistent. But they don't care about being logically consistent, they care about advancing left-wing causes. Why should they care if they appear hypocritical, as long as they continue to get their way?

Your point is well taken. However, in this case, I think it was only pointed out so we could laugh at them.

Circle of healers retreat?! Am I the only one who got a visceral feeling of creepiness by scrolling through that link....? Damn, that looked a lot like a cult/hardcore religious group meeting. What's with all the hugging in the center of the circle? Oh wow... and don't get me started on the wizard...seriously that robe looks too much like a purple-dyed former klan member's apparel.

Damn I'm glad I never funneled money into this nonsense.

Apparently they just had this year's Circle of Healer's retreat not far from my med school. Guess I missed out on meeting the wizard and getting huggy with some babes.

There's also the HEART elective. Last year's schedule included two hours of "Lee's Shamanic Journey".

http://www.amsa.org/heart/

If Shatner can be a shaman, why can't I?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAdzM7IHCk[/YOUTUBE]

Your point is well taken. However, in this case, I think it was only pointed out so we could laugh at them.

That's true in and of itself. I guess I just don't see the point in pointing and laughing at an enemy as they continue to gain power over you. Not that I have any great suggestions at the moment for stopping AMSA from further weakening the medical profession.

If Shatner can be a shaman, why can't I?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAdzM7IHCk[/YOUTUBE]

Well hell, I guess it would be kinda cool to hurl bolts of lightning...you could cauterize with your hands...this has potential.

The funny thing is they have this whole yearly Pharm Free Campaign, where you're encouraged to REJECT gifts from pharmaceutical companies! During their national conference or meeting or whatever in DC, they marched somewhere in their short white coats and dumped pharm pens and pads and gifts on some steps. It was supposed to be a showing of solidarity.

But they dont even TRY to explain the following. The big promotion (and reason) to join AMSA is the free Netter promotion. They give first years a free Netter textbook. You know who owns the publishing rights and makes money off of the Netter? NOVARTIS!! That's right, a pharmaceutical company! The biggest supporter of AMSA is NOVARTIS. WOW...what a bunch of idiots.

F that, some of the best pens I have are pharm pens, especially the vytorin and niaspan ones...those suckers write like pilots. Those liberal hippies are going to have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands. That and no one is taking my pharm laptop bag....no one....

But they dont even TRY to explain the following. The big promotion (and reason) to join AMSA is the free Netter promotion. They give first years a free Netter textbook. You know who owns the publishing rights and makes money off of the Netter? NOVARTIS!!

From wikipedia:

The vast bulk of Dr. Netter's illustrations were produced for and owned by CIBA Pharmaceutical Company and its successor, CIBA-Geigy, which has since merged with Sandoz Laboratories to become Novartis. In June 2000, Novartis sold its interest in Dr. Netter's works to MediMedia USA's subsidiary Icon Learning Systems, which in turn has sold the portfolio to Elsevier, which continues to make his work available in various formats.

Or perhaps I'm missing something?

That's right, a pharmaceutical company! The biggest supporter of AMSA is NOVARTIS. WOW...what a bunch of idiots.

And, even if the previous statement were true, this is not quite the same as accepting lunches and large gifts from pharmaceutical reps that directly market their drugs to physicians (which, whether you like to admit or not does have some influence over you). If anything, the pharmaceutical company will have made an incredibly dumb move by supporting an organization that wants to hamper its marketing efforts (unless someone can come up with a theory as to why it's a smart move).

As far as joining AMSA goes, if you don't support their causes and don't find the "free Netters" (which isn't truly free) worth the membership fee, then, it's simple: don't join, which is what many of you decided to do.

Personally, I find many of their causes worthwhile, hence why I forked over $90. The Netter's atlas and the car insurance benefits have helped defray the cost of membership, which is nice.

Can you un-join AMSA? I unfortunately was an idiot and didn't look closely enough at their priorities and mission before joining. The 'free Netter's' did the trick on me like a lot of others I'm sure.

Now I'm ashamed to be a member. They can have my Netter's back - it isn't marked in. Whatever. I just want my name off of any list associated with them.

Osli,

Here's the info from the website.

Section 4—Resignation

Any member may resign upon written notification to the Board of Trustees and to the local chapter, if there is one. Resignation shall entail forfeiture of all dues paid to the Association.

I did it at my little foreign med school and really liked it (BGU in Israel). We had a very clear idea about what we wanted to do and really went for it. AMSA is cool if you do it for some reason that actually interests you. I wouldn't do it for any other reason. The odd are on the house, as they say.

I don't think I availed myself of one single crappy "benefit" they offered. Always found better deals elsewhere.

Don't do it for residency, either. Totally useless unless you get a national spot or something big. I've interviewed quite a few applicants and been through the ranking process with my residency twice now and AMSA just doesn't do it for anyone (That's just us, though, a bunch of tree-huggers in WA, other programs might REALLY think it's cool)

Hey everyone, check THIS guy out, he's in AMSA!" :sleep::sleep::sleep:

The Netter's atlas and the car insurance benefits have helped defray the cost of membership, which is nice.

I joined for the atlas and the car insurance rebate. All told it was more than the membership fee. For me, Cash in > Cash out. How do they keep their books in the black?

Still, AMSA is a goofy organization. If you want to join something with political power join the AMA. If you want to join something for fun I'm sure your school has a bunch of clubs.

Still, AMSA is a goofy organization. If you want to join something with political power join the AMA. If you want to join something for fun I'm sure your school has a bunch of clubs.

Oh, I agree. The fact that they promote integrative medicine has almost made me want to resign my membership. But I am getting a free hotel room (provided by our chapter) in Houston so I can go with my chapter to the national conference so I can meet up with the rest of my liberal heathen bretheren. :)

If you want to join something worthwhile, join a well-respected organization linked to the specialty you are interested in, like the American College of Surgeons and the like. If you plan on taking medicare as your sole practice income or have a Step 1 score less than 195, then join AMSA. AMSA is essentially the hippies of medicine. I mean really though, doesn't it send up a little red flag that AMSA has to offer something to get you to join (which by the way comes with the credit card application)? If they really gave a crap, they would give you the Netter's without making you sign up for a credit card. And in response to tismegistus, what kind of a whack case are you? "Pointing and laughing as the enemy gains power over you" WTF? Who says that ****, really? For a moment, I thought a 5 year old had hacked the website.