An "All Pets" Veterinarian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RordOfTheMBKT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if some one could shed some light on this for me: Are all vet schools generally the same in there studies? Meaning, what all is learned? What animals? Just dogs, cats, horses? zebras?! I'm curious because some vets only work on certain animals, not all. Like birds for instance. Do you learn how to treat exotic birds etc in school? Or is the only way to be able to treat them is by taking a residency to become an "avian veterinarian"? Just kinda curious. I like birds. (Just in case you didn't know)
 
I was wondering if some one could shed some light on this for me: Are all vet schools generally the same in there studies? Meaning, what all is learned? What animals? Just dogs, cats, horses? zebras?! I'm curious because some vets only work on certain animals, not all. Like birds for instance. Do you learn how to treat exotic birds etc in school? Or is the only way to be able to treat them is by taking a residency to become an "avian veterinarian"? Just kinda curious. I like birds. (Just in case you didn't know)

This is my impression: most vet schools teach primarily small animal & large animal to all students, with clinicals and electives providing options to improve knowledge on specialties like exotics, birds, zoo med, etc. I think some schools do track students (ie you only learn one field) but I do not know which ones. We have focus areas that we study within (mine is zoo med) but we all still learn SA and LA.

To obtain a diplomate in avian, you can do a residency, but that is one of the specialities that can be obtained while working in a clinical setting by continueing education programs and completing additional work (I don't remember the details, but it may be case studies or other documentation) and taking and passing the boards. This process tends to be slower, but has the advantage of enabling work rather than residency. Some specialities do require a residency, and do not have another option for obtaining diplomate.

I hope that helps!