An IMG's concerns - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.FQ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm an IMG (with US citizenship) who studies in the middle east (Jordan). First of all, I know how out of reach ENT is for IMGs, especially by 2020 or afterwards. But so far, it has really been my favourite rotation that I attended and I can see myself doing this as a career (very much so). I know there are some program directors here so I thought this would be the best place to get accurate information. So now to my questions...

I know how competitive this field is, and that you can't give me a guaranteed yes/no answer, but let's say I get something like 260 on step 1 and 2, do all my away rotations in ENT and try to stand out and get good LOR's, and publish a lot of research during med school and 1 year after I graduate. If I spend a year doing research in the US and try to make a good impression and make friendships and connections with ENT people, do I have a chance of matching into an ENT program if I apply broadly? Would I have done everything in my power to strengthen my application? And how useful will me having an American citizenship be in terms of increasing my chances?

Another thing I heard about was doing a master's in public health during my research year in the US. How useful is that on my application?

Help an anxious IMG med student out thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

you are assuming the best possible case scenario. 260 and lots of pubs is not something that you can just assume will happen. best advice would be to study, do your best, show interest, and really figure out what it is you like during clinicals. if you only just shadowed ENT a few times, just wait to do a rotation. doesn't matter what you decide to go into, just do your best along the whole way.

Reactions: 1 user
anonymousdoctobe, thanks for you reply. I understand that what I'm saying is not something I can count on and that it is very difficult to achieve. I just wanted to know that given I work really hard and get really good results on both ends if I still stand a chance at being accepted as a US IMG. I'm willing to spend my time and energy on this, I just wanna know that it's not a lost cause. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
anonymousdoctobe, thanks for you reply. I understand that what I'm saying is not something I can count on and that it is very difficult to achieve. I just wanted to know that given I work really hard and get really good results on both ends if I still stand a chance at being accepted as a US IMG. I'm willing to spend my time and energy on this, I just wanna know that it's not a lost cause. What do you think?
just check the NRMP charting outcomes to see what the outcomes look like in regards to whatever specialty. I have only seen the outcomes for US MD graduates so i cannot tell you what you would have to get as an IMG

Hey guys. I'm an IMG (with US citizenship) who studies in the middle east (Jordan). First of all, I know how out of reach ENT is for IMGs, especially by 2020 or afterwards. But so far, it has really been my favourite rotation that I attended and I can see myself doing this as a career (very much so). I know there are some program directors here so I thought this would be the best place to get accurate information. So now to my questions...

I know how competitive this field is, and that you can't give me a guaranteed yes/no answer, but let's say I get something like 260 on step 1 and 2, do all my away rotations in ENT and try to stand out and get good LOR's, and publish a lot of research during med school and 1 year after I graduate. If I spend a year doing research in the US and try to make a good impression and make friendships and connections with ENT people, do I have a chance of matching into an ENT program if I apply broadly? Would I have done everything in my power to strengthen my application? And how useful will me having an American citizenship be in terms of increasing my chances?

Another thing I heard about was doing a master's in public health during my research year in the US. How useful is that on my application?

Help an anxious IMG med student out thanks in advance!
Agree with above.

It boils down to...extremely difficult, but not impossible. Make sure you have a back-up, even if it's doing a gap year type of thing. Also consider Canadian residencies as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your opinions guys.

I have a follow up question. I recently learned about CMEs and that it's like a point system, but from what I heard it was more geared towards residents who have to complete a certain number of hours or something. So my question is: is it useful for a med student who's applying for the match? Does it look good on the CV and do they take it into consideration (does it help me)? And if so, from your experiences, how significant is the boost to the application?

Thanks in advance!

Cme is something we do as fully board certified physicians to prove to our specialty and state medical board that we are keeping current on medical knowledge. Not useful for an applicant. Maybe not even possible. No one will care if you have cme.