An interesting Idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Often I have tried to explain to others what a DO is and how we are different than an MD. Several of my friends and I at my instituition generally agree that a DO is an MD + manipulation and DO philosophy. Likewise we all agree that DO is confusing to patients. An "MD" is another name for doctor. Patients vistit webMD, not webDO. Most of us think it would be less confusing to the patients and fellow health care workers if our accronym reflected the belief that we are complete MD's plus we are trained in manipulation and ustilize a different philosophy.

So here is my question. Would you like to see the D.O. changed to O.M.D. or M.D.O.

Personally I like the latter. I think it reflects that we are an MD plus osteopathy and I think patients (especially with a good advertising blitz) with make a stonger connection between MD and MDO then with MD and DO. To many associate DO with eye doctors (OD) or with "bone doctors" (chiropractors?....orthopedics?)

Members don't see this ad.