An observation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kttdancer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting about how I've seen several threads by male posters worrying about getting married and then going for a DPT, but I haven't seen a single women worried about having a husband while pursuing the degree. Just a casual note about the prevalence of ideas about gender roles...

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, it is interesting...had to chime in as my background is in the social sciences, but I agree, it must stem from roles on who "should" be the breadwinner/caretaker. I am starting pt school in the fall (or summer depending on the program) and am getting married in october (I'm a male), and it doesn't worry me one bit. I think we/I will do just fine, or even better since I have such a wonderful support system already in place with my fiance. We have already planned our wedding on a sat., and will postpone our official honeymoon until winter break. Just have to make things work sometimes...

I think it's funny too. I start PT school in the fall right before my 5th wedding anniversary. I used to work 70-80 hours a week in my old job and had no marital issues. It's all about supporting each other, prioritizing and balancing. Do people not realize that you have to have a life outside of work/school? You will be miserable and crack if you don't!

BTW - congrats vapt.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very interesting-as I am a 38 yr old married w/ 3 young children and due to CTS I am going back to school-was going to try dental school -but am thinking DPT might be more rewarding for me (and I wouldn't be using my hands for as much fine detail work).

Can anyone lead me somewhere to get some info on say "a day in the life of a PT?"

Oh, yes and congrats on getting married!

This is very interesting-as I am a 38 yr old married w/ 3 young children and due to CTS I am going back to school-was going to try dental school -but am thinking DPT might be more rewarding for me (and I wouldn't be using my hands for as much fine detail work).

Can anyone lead me somewhere to get some info on say "a day in the life of a PT?"

Oh, yes and congrats on getting married!

Thank you all for the very kind words. Stetson- the best/only advice I could give is the standard "shadow a pt." Most are completely fine with observation, as well as it counting towards your hours if you commit to the field. The reason you want to do this is the same as why schools make us do it in the first place- to make sure we're in the right profession.

Best regards!

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, vapt! :)

I'm getting married this summer or fall, either just before or at the beginning of school. I'm a girl. I have zero worries about my relationship and getting married right before school, but my fiance is also in school and is very understanding.

I was married before just before starting grad school: that was very worrisome and a very difficult time in our marriage. He didn't "get it" and was sometimes resentful on how much I needed to study.

I think it depends upon the relationship, I think, rather than the being married part...

I'm really worried about that too. I haven't even gotten in but we are getting married in the fall and I just wonder if I could juggle everything? Just a bit nerve wrecking :s

Really? The latest threads I saw were from female pre-PT/students worrying about wanting to start a family... didn't see anything about the guys, but I frequent the pre-PT forum more so.

I'm really worried about that too. I haven't even gotten in but we are getting married in the fall and I just wonder if I could juggle everything? Just a bit nerve wrecking :s

In my class, about 50% of the students are married, with another 10% getting engaged during the program. You can do it!