An Open Letter to Pre-Med ER Volunteers (from a Non-Trad Pre-Med ER Tech)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I apologize. I don't mean to argue with you. I'm just not understanding why a few people are defending hospital volunteer work...especially ones that have already made it past the pre-med stage.

I, for one, only even tried to do hospital volunteering because everyone kept telling me I "needed" it for my app. What a load of crap that was.

Don't get it twisted I agree with most of the stuff you've said... From an intellectual standpoint, hospital volunteering is a waste of time no question about it, but I understand why adcoms like to see it.

It shows you're comfortable being in a subservient role to the techs, nurses, etc. (see OP ~ tech who looks down on volunteers) which is honestly a great personality characteristic for a pre-med/medical student. A little humility will go a long way once you're practicing.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh look, the only 2 ways to meaningfully volunteer happen to also be the only 2 ways that MrBird found time to serve the community. Isn't that precious

That wasn't the first thing that jumped to my mind, no.

It looks like you happened to miss my earlier response to one of your ill-conceived and incorrect rants but you noticed my post once I said something you could refute.

Sorry, you're easy to miss. About LizzyM and Catalysk's suggestions - they've on many occasions specifically advise the applicant to do more hospital volunteering.

And how about I give you a few more examples of things you could do for clinical exposure?
EMT
CNA
Phlebotomy
Volunteering for the myriad of NGOs headquartered in the US
Global Medical Brigades
SNAC (student nutrition awareness campaign) <-nation-f*cking wide
Scribing
Public health surveying (at any major medical center in the US)

what more do you want, jerk?

Last edited:
I apologize. I don't mean to argue with you. I'm just not understanding why a few people are defending hospital volunteer work...especially ones that have already made it past the pre-med stage.

I, for one, only even tried to do hospital volunteering because everyone kept telling me I "needed" it for my app. What a load of crap that was.

For hospital volunteering, I totally agree with you. Volunteering in a tech role, though, gave me some valuable experiences that have been useful in interviews and that I suspect will help me as med student and beyond. Those roles have been especially helpful in understanding what the techs' and nurses' roles are (even before I worked as a tech). This post was never about the value of hospital volunteering, though. It was about making the most of whatever value hospital volunteering could potentially have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, you're easy to miss. About LizzyM and Catalysk's suggestions - they've on many occasions specifically advise the applicant to do more hospital volunteering.

And how about I give you a few more examples of things you could do for clinical exposure?
EMT
CNA
Phlebotomy
Global Medical Brigades
Scribing

The WAMC threads are always open for you to give your viewpoint about how to improve each applicant. If you feel that strongly that you are correct, then you should go there to contribute your knowledge.

The WAMC threads are always open for you to give your viewpoint about how to improve each applicant. If you feel that strongly that you are correct, then you should go there to contribute your knowledge.

Cool. I appreciate your change in tone.

Don't get it twisted I agree with most of the stuff you've said... From an intellectual standpoint, hospital volunteering is a waste of time no question about it, but I understand why adcoms like to see it.

It shows you're comfortable being in a subservient role to the techs, nurses, etc. (see OP ~ tech who looks down on volunteers) which is honestly a great personality characteristic for a pre-med/medical student. A little humility will go a long way once you're practicing.

What is up with the OP bashing? How did he come off looking down on volunteers? I didn't get that impression at all...(admittedly, I skimmed the text...) I think he made it clear in his previous posts that "looking down on volunteers" was not his intention, although his intent was misconstrued by various readers, perhaps by his injection of sarcasm that is never clear in a block of text...

Last edited:

EMT
CNA
Phlebotomy
Global Medical Brigades
Scribing

I hope you aren't representative of the students at Downstate ; )

Last edited:
Shadow some physicians, and volunteer at a small clinic, some free care joint, etc. You'll actually be needed, and appreciated.

Bingo. I volunteered in the ED during high school, and I couldn't force me to go back as a volunteer. There are only so many warm blankets you are willing to hand out or shelves you are willing to stock before you feel relatively meaningless. If you want some patient contact, and actually feel somewhat useful to your surrounding nurses and physicians, volunteering at a free clinic is the way to go

Maybe you can get a few things out of hospital volunteering initially, but then it boils down to one big numbers game. Is it necessary to do so many hours of it? Diminishing marginal returns sets in quickly.

And yes, I agree with MrBird that it has been strongly said and implied that more volunteering hours are essential to admission, and that people have been rejected for not having enough.

mr bird is a turdburglar.

OP, your point is valid but your condescension is annoying. i have a few years on you, probably, so maybe you'll take note.

OP, your point is valid but your condescension is annoying. i have a few years on you, probably, so maybe you'll take note.

aww shii the raccoon's getting feisty

I'm sorry it seemed condescending to you. That was not my intention. I'll be more careful to avoid that tone in the future. Things get easily misconstrued in text form -- especially in a forum such as SDN. My intent was to help others be successful, not to discourage.

I'm sorry it seemed condescending to you. That was not my intention. I'll be more careful to avoid that tone in the future. Things get easily misconstrued in text form -- especially in a forum such as SDN. My intent was to help others be successful, not to discourage.

I didn't see it as a condescending tone. I definitely understand your point about how it is wrong to say "no" to something you are asked to do, especially since they signed up willingly for that responsibility. What surprises me though is that anyone working in the ED would find this surprising. Based on what I've heard from people working at hospitals, they don't expect much from the pre-med volunteers, and they don't care if they stand there like static scenery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital volunteering was pretty dull, and I don't know anyone who actually enjoyed it. But the bulk of my clinical experience came in the form of clinical research in the ED, which was a much more autonomous and satisfying activity. As others have said, there are many ways to gain clinical experience aside from volunteering, but it's up to you to find the one that works best for you.

ETA: OP, I also got a sense of condescension from your post, although I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Personally, I feel the discord arises from the fact that hospital staff feel they are doing us a favour by providing us with clinical exposure, while we, the premeds, feel that we're the ones doing the favour by volunteering our time to do grunt work. In fact, in most cases, neither party is doing much for the other: the hospital staff have little energy or time to devote to premeds, and the premed has few qualifications to contribute in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Case in point, just last night one of you turned down a job making Triage packets for our Triage tech. Now, I understand you probably didn't think that sounded exciting, but that tech came to me and told me she felt like you didn't want to help and were, in fact, "avoiding her." Guess how often the ER staff talked to you the rest of the night after she mentioned that. We didn't. But we sure did talk about you.

Isn't that the triage tech's job? Shouldn't she be making her own packets instead of commandeering a volunteer to do her job for free?

Hospital volunteering was pretty dull, and I don't know anyone who actually enjoyed it. But the bulk of my clinical experience came in the form of clinical research in the ED, which was a much more autonomous and satisfying activity. As others have said, there are many ways to gain clinical experience aside from volunteering, but it's up to you to find the one that works best for you.

ETA: OP, I also got a sense of condescension from your post, although I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Personally, I feel the discord arises from the fact that hospital staff feel they are doing us a favour by providing us with clinical exposure, while we, the premeds, feel that we're the ones doing the favour by volunteering our time to do grunt work. In fact, in most cases, neither party is doing much for the other: the hospital staff have little energy or time to devote to premeds, and the premed has few qualifications to contribute in any meaningful way.

I completely agree with what you wrote in the second half. I think that both sides thinking they are doing the favor is a bad mix. I was bitter getting up in the morning devoting my free time to do such tasks for free, rarely with even a thank you. It's disheartening that so many ED staff thinking they are doing us the favor and should treat us like crap. I don't care whether the volunteer in your ER is a nice elderly lady that wants to be there or a typical pre-med, anyone who devotes so much time for FREE to do menial tasks deserves at least a little bit of reapect.

No wonder so many pre-meds have such piss poor attitudes to hospital volunteering. This isn't fun, this is just work that not even techs want to do for FREE.

Isn't that the triage tech's job? Shouldn't she be making her own packets instead of commandeering a volunteer to do her job for free?

If the tech is extremely busy with actual tasks, then volunteer is doing their intended job of helping the staff. If the volunteer does this just so the tech can mess around with staff, on phone, or Facebook, then it is so #$&%/;" ridiculous and I can't tell you how angry it make me. Happened to me all the time! I was scared to say no or call them out because plenty of pre-meds were dying to get into hospital I was at. :mad:

yeah!

tbh this isn't the first time i've noticed an air of condescension in your posts, particularly re: being non-trad. either you should post better or adjust your attitude. i can't tell you which is in order.

Here is another thought. Have you ever done something for someone only to get backlash? You tell them you are doing them a favor and they say: "I never asked you to do me a favor!" I feel this is where big problems arise between staff and pre-med volunteers. The ED staff, believing they are doing favor may ask volunteers to do excessive grunt work. What they don't realize is the pre-meds do NOT want this favor, they never asked for it. What they want is to not be there in the first place. Then pre-meds feel like slaves, get pissed off, and do a poor job.

Here is another thought. Have you ever done something for someone only to get backlash? You tell them you are doing them a favor and they say: "I never asked you to do me a favor!" I feel this is where big problems arise between staff and pre-med volunteers. The ED staff, believing they are doing favor may ask volunteers to do excessive grunt work. What they don't realize is the pre-meds do NOT want this favor, they never asked for it. What they want is to not be there in the first place. Then pre-meds feel like slaves, get pissed off, and do a poor job.

True, but the issue here is that by being there (i.e., by filling out some 10-page volunteer app, going through a background check that cost the hospital money, going through an orientation that cost money to put on, etc.) the volunteer did ask for this "favor." When I volunteer in a clinic and the executive director asks me to do something mundane, I do it without question. It never enters my mind that "wait a sec... I'm not being paid, I can totally just blow him off!" The fact is I've made a commitment and it is now time to come through on that commitment. People who don't have that mentality of following through after they commit to something are a bit baffling to me. I mean... if you're not going to follow through then -- wait for it -- DON'T COMMIT!

As an aside, I went and looked at 15 or so free health care clinics in Boston. None of them wanted volunteers for anything other than clerical jobs. Having been a secretary once upon a time, I can say there's nothing meaningful or stimulating about answering the phone and making copies.

At many such places, you start in a clerical position and work your way into something more clinical. The clinical positions are often difficult to get because there are so many people willing to do that kind of work. This isn't rocket science. You simply have to figure out what will get you in -- whether that's foot in the door or getting some sort of a license...

A good rule of thumb in life is that the best opportunities don't come at no cost and they certainly don't come easy most of the time.

Okay, I haven't read all of the posts, but I actually agree with the OP. That being said, for the volunteers that DO stuff, on behalf of all of the techs, MAs, or nursing stuff-THANK YOU for your contribution. Much of the restocking makes our lives much easier as we can actually do patient care-related work. Not sure how music2doc's average day works, but for mine, I work 12 hr shifts. if I'm lucky, with a slow day (which never happens), I can get a decent lunch. Instead, I usually get 20 minutes to scarf down stuff before I get paged out of lunch. Only a 20 min lunch/break for a 12 hr shift? That's something you don't see often...Yes you can tell me it's not labor-compliant, etc etc, i have rights, yada yada yada...but who are we to say ANYTHING, when residents do the same thing.

That being said, I will say that volunteers that get stuff done in OUR ER are NOT part of the norm in the volunteers we receive in the ED. Most of them stalk the attendings, ask them questions while they're busy trying to teach the residents and M3/4s, disregard nursing staff, and some start thinking they can pull IV lines from patients, and start assisting consults without any permission (volunteers aren't allowed to participate in patient care anyway).

What I would like from volunteers, is to stock the main things in the ED, and just be ready to replace beds when they know someone is going to be admitted or DCed. And if they do that, I'd be happy to tell them what I know from working in the ED (yes, i'm only a tech, but it doesn't mean I have NO IDEA how an ED runs, or some of the issues we have). Heck, I'd be happy to bring in our volunteers after a trauma code debriefing, or part of the discussion as the attending explains to us how to use a slit lamp, or when radiology deciphers an xray. But honestly, we have volunteers that aren't like that, and thats what makes things very frustrating.

I'm not saying I "own" the volunteers-I say this after volunteering in an ED for over 3 years, showing up on night shifts and on almost all holidays. I know I sound pretentious here, but I feel that I've paid my dues and worked my way up the ranks. That being said, nobody has to follow my footsteps, but what I'm asking is not that much. I learned in the ED, from both nursing and medical staff, that nobody is going to give you a free-pass for anything-you gotta earn it. And sometimes I find it insulting when they think that just "showing up" is just community service. If you don't like it so much, you'd be better served being in a soup kitchen and working with the homeless population or those who don't have means to feed themselves...

Again, for those of you who actually get stuff done, and restock, honestly, I can see the work. and I thank you time and time again for coming in and making my shifts bearable. But for those of you who don't, I'm more than happy to ignore you and make you feel unwelcome in our ED, cuz we're not expecting THAT much (only linens, suction canisters, clean beds), and you have to remember that this is a public, patient care facility. It's not just a gallery where you get to watch "OH DOOD CHECK OUT THAT FRACTURE WITH THE BONE STICKING OUT"...It's really disrespectful to our patients.

Last edited:
At many such places, you start in a clerical position and work your way into something more clinical. The clinical positions are often difficult to get because there are so many people willing to do that kind of work. This isn't rocket science. You simply have to figure out what will get you in -- whether that's foot in the door or getting some sort of a license...

A good rule of thumb in life is that the best opportunities don't come at no cost and they certainly don't come easy most of the time.

If you look through the thread, there are repeated references to how working in a free health clinic will be a magical, fulfilling experience that will teach you more than volunteering at an ED ever will. Maybe so. But it's just as likely that you're going to be answering phones and making copies for some indeterminate amount of time, especially if there is a local glut of enthusiastic medical students and residents (welcome to Boston!).

And yes, by the time I left my pathology shadowing, I was going through slides before the fellow got to them and letting him know that I had or had not found mitoses, that the muscle fibers were normal/abnormal, and so on. Obviously, he went over them himself, but if I could find a mitosis and let him know where it was, that cut down on some work. It was awesome and I miss it so.

It's a good thread, but I'll make the point that you can follow this advice and still get unnoticed by the staff. I can't count how many dozens of times I've introduced myself to nurses, said I'm a pre-med, and told them I can help out if they need anything, and not hear a word from them the rest of the day. But you can still get plenty of patient interaction. I took my volunteering to the waiting room and now help patients register. It was the only way I'd get good patient interaction, and screw it if it means I don't get to tango with the nurses - most of them are weird folks anyway.

Since the sarcastic tone was previously missed, let me put the OP more simply:

Based on the observations of myself and some of my colleagues, if you volunteer in the ED and would like to have the best possible experience, I would suggest that you:

1) Be proactive in seeking out ways you can help
2) Let us know you are there, what your name is, what you're interested in doing, etc.
3) When asked to do something, do your best to do it, even if it seems boring -- we'll appreciate that and may be able to return the favor later
4) Keep in mind the (other) golden rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. For better or for worse, the perception the staff holds of you is likely to influence what you are offered. Things like reliability, work ethic, etc. influence their perception of you. This is not something any one person has control over, but I have seen it work for and against some of our volunteers. I don't mean to discourage, but be aware of that.

This thread was not meant to be a war of positions and I'm sorry it devolved into that. It was meant as a simple word of warning to other pre-meds.

I remember this thread and I think the original post has been changed multiple times. It was originally quite incendiary and degrading towards others. The way it's presented now makes sense but it's so watered down that these points make sense for just about anything in life. The fact that you originally felt the need to give a word of warning towards other premeds, your peers, in a way that apparently put you on a pedestal, was all kinds of problematic.

Cliff Notes of the OP: ER Tech bossing around the only person lower than them on the hierarchy, the ED volunteer.

I think this best sums up the OPs original post.

And OP, for future reference, pulling the "I was being sarcastic" card doesn't make you any less of a tool.

Regardless of the incarnation of the original post I think I may offer advice to all premeds that I'm sorry no one gave to me.

This probably will come off as selfish, but hey, it's your life. During the first few times you are volunteering, try to get a feel for the place. If the doctors, nurses, and techs really don't seem to want you around, and you're not being a jackass, then they probably never will no matter what you do. At best they will tolerate your presence, and what's the point in that?

If you aren't going to get to do hands-on clinical stuff or interact with patients (as you probably won't, fear not) ask a doctor or a PA or a nurse periodically if you can observe what they do because you are interested in learning about healthcare. If for some reason this process is like pulling teeth, then you are wasting your time in the ER and will get nothing* out of this no matter how much you try to make the staff like you.

Life is short and there's better things you can be doing with your time.

*you may get the equivalent of a doctorate in bed making, however

Volunteering is just a tool to help you get from one place to the next. It's no different than studying for Organic. If you want to succeed at O-chem, you gotta study. If you want to get accepted to medical school, you gotta volunteer.

Trying to get anything more out of what it is is clawing at the margins. Deal with it and move on after you get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteering is just a tool to help you get from one place to the next. It's no different than studying for Organic. If you want to succeed at O-chem, you gotta study. If you want to get accepted to medical school, you gotta volunteer.

Trying to get anything more out of what it is is clawing at the margins. Deal with it and move on after you get accepted.

Maybe to you, but some of us are actually able to make a difference in the lives of others through volunteering.

Oh look, this thread again.... 'though I actually think it performed its original purpose and brought about a nice, eye-opening conversation that revealed both sides of a tension between some healthcare workers and pre-meds hoping to volunteer. I am glad that the OP is helpful to people now even if, in some people's eyes, it is "too watered down."

Cause ED's really need pre-meds volunteering.

After 1 year of that **** I'm firmly of the belief that the patients are happier to talk to you rather than in any pre-med thing you could possibly do. Talking is fun and interesting.

If an ED is so busy that restocking of the cabinets would NOT be completed in my absence, that ED has bigger problems.

I felt more altruistic setting up water barrels in the desert.

Maybe to you, but some of us are actually able to make a difference in the lives of others through volunteering.

yea, ladling that soup or changing those beds or handing out pamphlets in the waiting room is really making a big difference. Keep telling yourself that.

I'd say scribes and techs are about equal, different but close enough. Literally coughed when I read the notion that a RN student or even a paramedic student would give a FU-CK what a tech said.

Haha- Amen! Seriously. I volunteered in the ER, was a scribe, and am now a tech in a busy ER. I learned WAY more as a scribe and have only been pissed on as a tech by RNs and my senior "lead" tech (also known as a career tech lol). There is a heirarchy in the ER and techs are at the bottom. I'm also a nontrad student (military veteran) and have been accepted to multiple med schools, just like the creator of this thread. I guess the only difference between us is that I don't bully our volunteers and premeds.

Haha- Amen! Seriously. I volunteered in the ER, was a scribe, and am now a tech in a busy ER. I learned WAY more as a scribe and have only been pissed on as a tech by RNs and my senior "lead" tech (also known as a career tech lol). There is a heirarchy in the ER and techs are at the bottom. I'm also a nontrad student (military veteran) and have been accepted to multiple med schools, just like the creator of this thread. I guess the only difference between us is that I don't bully our volunteers and premeds.

I like the reference you made to the hierarchy in the ER. Being a scribe, you really become so low on the list, no one even cares to bother with you. But I have noticed that techs get a lot of crap from people higher up than them.

/my experiences

If you pretend that volunteering isn't unwritten rule for admissions, then what you see is something disturbing. These pre-meds are DONATING their freetime to help at the hospital. Is it okay to treat people giving up their time for free like this? I can't imagine there being tension with elderly volunteers. What came first? The chicken or egg? In thie case, the disgruntled pre-med or the obnoxious staff?

Whether a volunteer is young pre-med or 80 year old lady, they are both donating their time for free to help hospital. Treating someone who donates their time like this, whether pre-med or not, is wrong. Does anyone not see an issue with this? How does this even fly?!

Reactions: 1 user
I like the reference you made to the hierarchy in the ER. Being a scribe, you really become so low on the list, no one even cares to bother with you. But I have noticed that techs get a lot of crap from people higher up than them.

/my experiences

That's just it. But I wouldn't say that scribes are low on the list, they are simply unavailable to nurses. As a scribe nobody screws with you because you are essentially dedicated to the physician. I never had a nurse say to me "go get this" or "go do that" when I was scribing. As a tech I make twice as much as I did as a scribe....the downside is that I have found that techs are the bitches of the ER. They exist to do the jobs that nurses are simply too lazy and occasionally too busy to do. My advice to anyone considering ER work would be to become a scribe and stay away from tech.

The entire argument here is pretty sad altogether. We're all pre-med, I don't understand the bashing. You're a freaking ED TECH. Its not like you hold up the dang ER. A volunteer is a volunteer, they're there to help out as needed, but lets be frank, ultimately to get some experience. I'm not impressed by your attitude towards people who are there volunteering their time. They aren't there to please you, or do your dirty work, they're there to learn. Now that doesn't excuse laziness or bad behavior, but for someone who's pre-med you have a poor attitude towards others.

The entire argument here is pretty sad altogether. We're all pre-med, I don't understand the bashing. You're a freaking ED TECH. Its not like you hold up the dang ER. A volunteer is a volunteer, they're there to help out as needed, but lets be frank, ultimately to get some experience. I'm not impressed by your attitude towards people who are there volunteering their time. They aren't there to please you, or do your dirty work, they're there to learn. Now that doesn't excuse laziness or bad behavior, but for someone who's pre-med you have a poor attitude towards others.

Well maybe the first dozen hours or so are spent learning. After you probably know what you need to do, and it just PUNISHMENT for being in the pre-med game.

Obvious due to attitudes!

Well maybe the first dozen hours or so are spent learning. After you probably know what you need to do, and it just PUNISHMENT for being in the pre-med game.

Obvious due to attitudes!

:laugh: Lol, pretty much sums up any clinical volunteering I've ever done.

Thank you for the letter you posted I saved a copy of it and hope you don't mind. I'm starting the ER rotation in my program soon and my main concern is maintaining that fine balance between not doing enough or finding enough to do and looking lazy, or asking the nurses 24/7 "can I help you, can I help you, can I help you" and turn into an annoying buzzing gnat who the nurses dread having on their shift. With that being said, i also want to maintain some sort of independence and assertiveness without having to be spoon fed, but then I don't want the hospital staff thinking that I am not teachable. I guess only time will tell and i can adjust as needed. Thank you again, this thread has been really helpful!

Remember that nurses are just nurses. If you annoy them......oh well. They aren't going to get you in to medical schools or play any role in the application process for you. Respect them and ya try to get to know them a little but you don't need to worry about going out of your way to gain their seal of approval because it's not going to count for anything in the end anyway. I don't think I talked about my volunteer experience at any time in any interview at any medical schools. Just saying

Remember that nurses are just nurses. If you annoy them......oh well. They aren't going to get you in to medical schools or play any role in the application process for you. Respect them and ya try to get to know them a little but you don't need to worry about going out of your way to gain their seal of approval because it's not going to count for anything in the end anyway. I don't think I talked about my volunteer experience at any time in any interview at any medical schools. Just saying

This.

I havw talked to doctors that usually dismiss the pre-med volunteers because they usually have high turnover. If you are doing this solely for your app, then be respectful and do what is asked. In the end the experience will be on your app and can be verified. I also felt that if I were proactive, I would annoy staff. So just hang out and do what is asked, and you will be fine. Either way, no one directly influences your application like maseface said.

Gossip flies around in any department. I agree that there's no need to get their seal of approval, but what's most important is that you A. Don't annoy them and B. Show them that regardless of how annoying you are or aren't, you're there to work. Nothing makes a nurse happier than having a volunteer do a scut job that she would have had to do.

Sure I see your point but this program will write you a letter of recommendation after you have completed your 280 hours and they also give out awards etc etc and all that information as in for the LOR and awards comes from nurses. It's not like they will make or break you, but I think there's a ton of benefits from having them like you. After I've completed several months I go from the nursing units to labor and delivery and the OR so it might be different then.

Gossip flies around in any department. I agree that there's no need to get their seal of approval, but what's most important is that you A. Don't annoy them and B. Show them that regardless of how annoying you are or aren't, you're there to work. Nothing makes a nurse happier than having a volunteer do a scut job that she would have had to do.

You guys are focusing WAY too much on pleasing the nurses. You aren't volunteering to make some nurse happy. If you want to get a good letter of rec for nursing school then by all means.....but if you want to get into medicine then you better get this notion of nurse appeasement out of your head.

Sure I see your point but this program will write you a letter of recommendation after you have completed your 280 hours and they also give out awards etc etc and all that information as in for the LOR and awards comes from nurses. It's not like they will make or break you, but I think there's a ton of benefits from having them like you. After I've completed several months I go from the nursing units to labor and delivery and the OR so it might be different then.

280 Hours!!!! Did you already take the mcat? If not, how about you do 80 hours volunteering and then spend 200 studying for the mcat and you can thank me later for the awesome advice. Those awards might help but probably not too much. Again, if the nurses like you and you apply to nursing school then they should be able to help.

I switched my major and have three more years of undergrad to go, so it's a long time commitment of four hours a week. I can break it at any time but I'm loving the set up!

Also, many people have been able to use this to get to know and shadow doctors. I'm more looking at this from a several year perspective.