An questionable view on affirmative action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I heard this one applicant say that DO docs are sort of looked down upon by MDs due to the fact that many of DO schools have lower standards for GPA and MCAT scores. He added that since non Caucasians and Asians often can be admitted to MD schools with significantly lower GPAs and MCAT scores than Cauc/Asians he stated that perhaps non Cauc/Asian MDs are looked upon with the similar light as the DOs (Personally, I love the DO philosophy). I told him that that's a ridiculous assumption. He's not a racist and his comments didn't come from dislike for non Cauc/Asians. Personally I had no idea that there was an affirmative action policy in med school admissions. Does this really go on?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.
I heard this one applicant say that DO docs are sort of looked down upon by MDs due to the fact that many of DO schools have lower standards for GPA and MCAT scores. He added that since non Caucasians and Asians often can be admitted to MD schools with significantly lower GPAs and MCAT scores than Cauc/Asians he stated that perhaps non Cauc/Asian MDs are looked upon with the similar light as the DOs (Personally, I love the DO philosophy). I told him that that's a ridiculous assumption. He's not a racist and his comments didn't come from dislike for non Cauc/Asians. Personally I had no idea that there was an affirmative action policy in med school admissions. Does this really go on?

Combining MD vs DO and AA/URM issues in a single thread is just a flame war waiting to happen. If this stays civil and unlocked for long I will be shocked.

Personally, I love the DO philosophy
I just can't help myself...
johnmarshall.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, yeah, let's stay civil. My reason for the post is to find out whether there is an affirmative action policy in med school admission. There really isn't a reason to post any angry replies......so please reply with informative postings rather than negative statements. The prelude to my question in the original posting was to give a background as to what made me think of this question.

johnmarshall.jpg

Haha. While all of these commercials are hysterical, this is prob the only one that features a DO. All of the pre-allo's think they have the lead in life...DO's were just trying to catch up in the ****ty commercial for questionable products category.

Also, I love how every MD vs. DO and AA thread starts with the disclaimer that only wants information, not a flame war.

OP, do a search for both, and use your brain to combine them.

Hi all.

hello, there's this thing called the USMLEs that ALL allopathic students take and thats what residency directors use to rank people. Do you really think if a minority gets a 240 on their Step 1 a director is going to say 'darn...too bad he needed affirmative action to get into harvard...'?? let's be smart here, folks.

Hi all.

They have that on the app and take minority status into consideration but it isnt like a minority is going to get acceptances raining from the sky from everywhere with lower numbers because he/she is a URM.

Im not really sure if people look at URMs in MD schools like that, if they do it is unfortunate I sure hope they do not. at the end of the day they both have MD after their names and that is all there is to it. Also they should think of were those candidates come from and the obstacles that are in place of many URMs in society. I think that that should apply for people who are socioeconomically disadvantaged as well (black, white, hispanic etc), meaning that that should be noted on their applications because it is a factor.

johnmarshall.jpg

It's true. Those commercials always have a resident DO. Kind of a kick in the balls when DO's are fighting for the credibility of MD's.

But that is one problem with affirmative action. When one race gets lower standards people think that those doctors are lower standards. This makes a new kind of racism.

They have that on the app and take minority status into consideration but it isnt like a minority is going to get acceptances raining from the sky from everywhere with lower numbers because he/she is a URM.

Im not really sure if people look at URMs in MD schools like that, if they do it is unfortunate I sure hope they do not. at the end of the day they both have MD after their names and that is all there is to it. Also they should think of were those candidates come from and the obstacles that are in place of many URMs in society. I think that that should apply for people who are socioeconomically disadvantaged as well (black, white, hispanic etc), meaning that that should be noted on their applications because it is a factor.

There is a place on the application to descirbe socioeconomic disadvantages I think.

In response to the OP... There is no "policy" for AA at all schools, but many schools choose to admit a diverse class since they believe that URMs will practice in UR areas and that there will be less discrimination in patient-doctor relationships.

There is a place on the application to descirbe socioeconomic disadvantages I think.

In response to the OP... There is no "policy" for AA at all schools, but many schools choose to admit a diverse class since they believe that URMs will practice in UR areas and that there will be less discrimination in patient-doctor relationships.
yeah this is true you are right. I meant that socioeconomic status position should be put into context by other med students etc.

It's true that there are/were numerous ads featuring MDs sponsoring frivolous product as well. In response to "OP, do a search for both, and use your brain to combine them.", my inquiry was not a "What are my chances?" type of a post where there are literature and websites to quench such curiosities. If we were to research on all types of questions we had, this type of forum may cease to exist. Do not make remarks as "use your brain". It's unnecessary.
Haha. While all of these commercials are hysterical, this is prob the only one that features a DO. All of the pre-allo's think they have the lead in life...DO's were just trying to catch up in the ****ty commercial for questionable products category.

Also, I love how every MD vs. DO and AA thread starts with the disclaimer that only wants information, not a flame war.

OP, do a search for both, and use your brain to combine them.

please guys. this is a stupid thread, asking a stupid question, and it will only warrant stupid responses. let the OP learn how to use SDN's search feature. i smell a troll nearby.

Ever notice how MDs are listed as "John Smith, MD" and DO's are listed as "Dr. John Smith"? Interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever notice how MDs are listed as "John Smith, MD" and DO's are listed as "Dr. John Smith"? Interesting.

nope havent noticed it I will start paying attention I wonder if this is true

Hi all.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=212493

"There are an abundance of medical disparities on the basis of race and ethnicity that affect society as a whole. By continuing to implementing race-conscious affirmative action programs, these disparities will also continue to decrease "

It appears that med schools indeed, use some sort of AA policy.

I'll fan the flames...

In a michigan study:
In 1999 they found after controlling for test scores, grades, Michigan residency, sex, and alumni connections, that odds of admissions for a black person compared to a white one with the same background and credentials was 38 to 1. In 2005 it remained high at 21 to 1.

I'll fan the flames...

In a michigan study:
In 1999 they found after controlling for test scores, grades, Michigan residency, sex, and alumni connections, that odds of admissions for a black person compared to a white one with the same background and credentials was 38 to 1. In 2005 it remained high at 21 to 1.

Meaningless study, with a bogus comparison.

Why the whole DO insult? This really pisses me the **** off.

He seems to be making money and some degree of fame, I like that guy.

If you see the commerical hes in, theres a really good looking girl with him. So more power to him. Us Chicago people need all the help we can get when it comes to losing weight. Damn the fattest city in the world :rolleyes:

In the pic of the guy on this thread his coat says blah blah, D.O. I've also seen multiple people at work with NAME, D.O. listed on their coats. The top surgeon in my department (an M.D. by the way) has his name listed with Dr. NAME, Department of Surgery with no distinction of what degree he received. I'm guessing hes also a PhD because of all of his research, but I don't know for sure.

Well, it's true. There are certain ethnicities where you can get into med school if you can write your name. The bar can be very low.

It's true that there are/were numerous ads featuring MDs sponsoring frivolous product as well. In response to "OP, do a search for both, and use your brain to combine them.", my inquiry was not a "What are my chances?" type of a post where there are literature and websites to quench such curiosities. If we were to research on all types of questions we had, this type of forum may cease to exist. Do not make remarks as "use your brain". It's unnecessary.

I agree with the "stupid thread, stupid question." OP, my comment stands, everyone that reads threads like this sees the trolling undertones. Combining the two most heated debates on SDN is never a good idea.

Only in this commercial...in most of the philadelphia hospitals they all have DO on their coats

This might be the most ridiculous thread I ever stumbled upon.