Anaesthesia residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful1664

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I realize that anaesthesia residencies have been getting more competitive over the past few years, but by how much? I'm an sgu student with a 216 on step 1, and excellent letters from my 3rd year clerkships. I'm planning on doing well on step 2 and do not plan on going for the 'top' programs (NYU, UCSF, etc) What kind of programs (if any) do you think I have a shot at? Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump...I am considering going to SGU this fall and I am very interested in anesth. right now.

Hmmm.... I saw a couple of Caribbean students interviewing and at least one Carib grad at Boston University, Penn State and UMass in 2005-6....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hopeful1664 said:
Hey everyone,
I realize that anaesthesia residencies have been getting more competitive over the past few years, but by how much? I'm an sgu student with a 216 on step 1, and excellent letters from my 3rd year clerkships. I'm planning on doing well on step 2 and do not plan on going for the 'top' programs (NYU, UCSF, etc) What kind of programs (if any) do you think I have a shot at? Thanks for the advice!

You should be fine. Do well on step II, have ECFMG certif. ready, apply early and apply broadly.... You may be suprised by the interviews you get.

Ross grauate with 229/230 with no research, crappy LOR's, who applied to 60 programs. Recieved over 26 invites, 4 of which were top20, went on 15. Got my number one spot, although not terribly competitive. bottom line...score well on step 2 and have both step 2 scores ready to go and you should have no problems if you have a good interview.

OTE=sevoflurane]You should be fine. Do well on step II, have ECFMG certif. ready, apply early and apply broadly.... You may be suprised by the interviews you get.[/QUOTE]

What about DOs? Who is generally more competitive for anesth. spots? DOs or FMG (SGU/ROSS grads), if all grades and usmles are relatively equal?

NRAI2001 said:
What about DOs? Who is generally more competitive for anesth. spots? DOs or FMG (SGU/ROSS grads), if all grades and usmles are relatively equal?

DO's def have a better chance then FMG's. The truth is that fmg's are hurt more because of funding. DO's and MD's get hospitals equal funding however fmgs bring hosp less funding... bottomline its all about the money

Swaydaa said:
Ross grauate with 229/230 with no research, crappy LOR's, who applied to 60 programs. Recieved over 26 invites, 4 of which were top20, went on 15. Got my number one spot, although not terribly competitive. bottom line...score well on step 2 and have both step 2 scores ready to go and you should have no problems if you have a good interview.
Swaydaa said:
Haven't seen you on the forums for a while. I'm sure you're psyched to leave the floors and move on to be a permanent fixture of the OR's. I know I am. How's that heart hospital coming along? I was pretty impressed by it and your eccentric british/irish chair :thumbup:

Dryacku said:
DO's def have a better chance then FMG's. The truth is that fmg's are hurt more because of funding. DO's and MD's get hospitals equal funding however fmgs bring hosp less funding... bottomline its all about the money

Wrong! Your information is just simply incorrect. After graduation from medical school and entrance into a bona fide and approved residency program, each "head" in that program gets the same amount of money - based on a reimbursement from the CMS for full-time equivalent (FTE) position - to support that GME training slot. There is no different allocation based on where someone went to medical school, which would not only be blatantly unfair but also makes absolutely no sense. The caveat is that all training programs that receive this funding have to accept medicare/medicaid patients. And, as I'm aware, all do. Likewise, this is allocated on a state-by-state basis, who decide how to divide this money.

So, this issue you attempt to address as some sort of indicator on who's accepted into a residency program really has no bearing whatsoever. As a Ross graduate myself, I did very well in last year's match and will be soon finishing my Internship and starting my anesthesia residency. I'm getting ready to move in the next week or so, actually, and hope to have more time to contribute to this forum again in the near future.

It is my understanding, however, in speaking with friends this year is that the field has gotten a lot tighter. You will need higher scores and great LORs along with key visiting rotations to secure a spot if you are a DO or an IMG from one of the better known schools (who are, believe it or not, generally held in the same esteem if my internship program and where I'm going for my gas residency is any indication).

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Wrong! Your information is just simply incorrect. After graduation from medical school and entrance into a bona fide and approved residency program, each "head" in that program gets the same amount of money - based on a reimbursement from the CMS for full-time equivalent (FTE) position - to support that GME training slot. There is no different allocation based on where someone went to medical school, which would not only be blatantly unfair but also makes absolutely no sense. The caveat is that all training programs that receive this funding have to accept medicare/medicaid patients. And, as I'm aware, all do. Likewise, this is allocated on a state-by-state basis, who decide how to divide this money.

So, this issue you attempt to address as some sort of indicator on who's accepted into a residency program really has no bearing whatsoever. As a Ross graduate myself, I did very well in last year's match and will be soon finishing my Internship and starting my anesthesia residency. I'm getting ready to move in the next week or so, actually, and hope to have more time to contribute to this forum again in the near future.

It is my understanding, however, in speaking with friends this year is that the field has gotten a lot tighter. You will need higher scores and great LORs along with key visiting rotations to secure a spot if you are a DO or an IMG from one of the better known schools (who are, believe it or not, generally held in the same esteem if my internship program and where I'm going for my gas residency is any indication).

-Skip

Where are you doing your residency?

Also I had another question during your intern year do you do a medical intern year or a surgical intern year (or are all intern years the same) before starting your anesth residency?

sevoflurane said:
Swaydaa said:
Swaydaa said:
Haven't seen you on the forums for a while. I'm sure you're psyched to leave the floors and move on to be a permanent fixture of the OR's. I know I am. How's that heart hospital coming along? I was pretty impressed by it and your eccentric british/irish chair :thumbup:

Yup, I'm pretty darn excited to start anesthesia. If I had to do it over again I would still do preliminary medicine year. It was a tough year, but I've learned so much. It kinda sucks because I'm totally ready to take over and run a service as a medicine resident...... but, I'll have to start over as a CA1 "Intern". I will miss internal medicine, but really happy to make the switch this year. I would vote for doing a medicine over surgery year.....just my 2 cents. The new heart hospital is awesome...excited to start cardio cases over there.

Ohio State Anesthesiology CA1 (in 2weeks!!!)

Swaydaa said:
sevoflurane said:
Swaydaa said:

Yup, I'm pretty darn excited to start anesthesia. If I had to do it over again I would still do preliminary medicine year. It was a tough year, but I've learned so much. It kinda sucks because I'm totally ready to take over and run a service as a medicine resident...... but, I'll have to start over as a CA1 "Intern". I will miss internal medicine, but really happy to make the switch this year. I would vote for doing a medicine over surgery year.....just my 2 cents. The new heart hospital is awesome...excited to start cardio cases over there.

Ohio State Anesthesiology CA1 (in 2weeks!!!)

Hey Swaydaa,
Nice to hear from you after a long time.
Agree with you 100%,prelim medicine was tough both physically(may be less so than surgery) and mentally(no comparisons), but I learned a lot and I am a little uneasy leaving it!!!!!
Its crazy thinking how much I hated it during the first 3 months.
Its a bitter sweet moment.
These days we are partying like crazy,its sad to leave and see your friends leave :(
Anyway excited to start in few weeks

Serenity
CA 1(soon to be)
Yale Anesthesiology

serenity said:
Swaydaa said:
sevoflurane said:
Hey Swaydaa,
Agree with you 100%,prelim medicine was tough both physically(may be less so than surgery) and mentally(no comparisons), but I learned a lot and I am a little uneasy leaving it!!!!!
Its crazy thinking how much I hated it during the first 3 months.
Its a bitter sweet moment.
These days we are partying like crazy,its sad to leave and see your friends leave :(
Anyway excited to start in few weeks

Serenity
CA 1(soon to be)
Yale Anesthesiology

Yale wow :thumbup: Congrats.

Were you a carribean grad also?

serenity said:
Swaydaa said:
sevoflurane said:
Hey Swaydaa,

I would vote for the type of Prelim year that is getting more common. When the Anesthesia Dept takes over the CBY and writes your schedule. No surg months, 1 floor medicine month, 1-2 OR months, PACU, Pre-Anesthesia screening, and plenty of ICU months to prep your for vent Pts NeuroICU, NICU, PICU, SICU, CICU, CVICU. Tough, but right in line with what you CA-1s will need in the ORs.

OTE=sevoflurane]You should be fine. Do well on step II, have ECFMG certif. ready, apply early and apply broadly.... You may be suprised by the interviews you get.

Agreed! Also a former Ross grad, 227/246 STEP I/II, applied to an equal amount of programs, interviewed at 7, and got my top! Do I regret not ranking my smaller institution at home for a BUSY AS HELL inner city one? Remains to be seen, but at the crux of it, I really enjoy what I do :)