Analytical writing portion of GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyanko

total trash mammal
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the GRE earlier this month for the second time. The first time I got a really good (>90th percentile) verbal score and a subpar quant (60th percentile). The second time I got a subpar (for me) verbal (77th percentile) and a better quant (84th percentile). UC Davis looks at the highest two, so I'm in good shape for those.

My question is regarding the importance of the analytical writing portion. Both times I have gotten a 4 (33rd percentile) on that, which I don't actually feel reflects my abilities properly. How important is this to vet schools? Has anyone gotten in with such a crappy analytical writing score? Obviously I can't take the GRE again and to be honest I'm happy with my verbal and quant scores. It's just this damn writing score that I can't seem to do better on. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview at Davis last year with a 770 Q, 740V, and 4.0 AW ... so I guess they might not look at the writing *that* closely - either that or my other scores balanced it out.

its interesting to me you have some pretty good scores, but your analytical is not on the same level. the reason im bringing this up is because i don't think my analytical is reflective of my skill level either. when i wrote my essays i thought to myself, "wow, i feel really good about these!" i too, got a 4. (piss) so perhaps the evaluators this year are just cantancerous old folks who are a little too critical! j/k, but seriously.... what gives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I freely admit that I'm a crappy writer, but the writing portion is undoubtedly subjective too. Guess that may be why Penn doesn't factor it in.

its interesting to me you have some pretty good scores, but your analytical is not on the same level. the reason im bringing this up is because i don't think my analytical is reflective of my skill level either. when i wrote my essays i thought to myself, "wow, i feel really good about these!" i too, got a 4. (piss) so perhaps the evaluators this year are just cantancerous old folks who are a little too critical! j/k, but seriously.... what gives?

According to the Princeton Review book I studied from, they're actually over-worked TAs who tend to spend an average of 2 minutes grading each essay..... I scored a 5 on my analytical section but I thought I had NAILED both essays :rolleyes: (unlike the rest of my GRE)... I pulled out all the stops! References to literature, organization, examples etc. I guess some people do well though, because a 5 is only 73%. Oh well....

Most schools don't seem to care much about the writing portion and some don't even look at it at all. I wouldn't worry about it--or check the schools you are applying they should have a ruberic on how they weigh applicants.

Overall Im a pretty good writer, 5s on both AP Lit and AP Comp etc. I went into the GRE knowing that the school I was applying for, UF, didnt really care about the Writing portion. So I just FLEW through the essays as fast as I could to get the important stuff. I spent 10 minutes and each essay and they give you what? 30 minutes? I mean I just threw stuff down and that was it. Ended up with a 5, I was very suprised lol.

Overall Im a pretty good writer, 5s on both AP Lit and AP Comp etc. I went into the GRE knowing that the school I was applying for, UF, didnt really care about the Writing portion. So I just FLEW through the essays as fast as I could to get the important stuff. I spent 10 minutes and each essay and they give you what? 30 minutes? I mean I just threw stuff down and that was it. Ended up with a 5, I was very suprised lol.

I also got a 5 on AP Comp...way back in high school, 8 years ago. But uhh, thanks for this worthwhile story that contributes a whole lot to the thread!

I also got a 5 on AP Comp...way back in high school, 8 years ago. But uhh, thanks for this worthwhile story that contributes a whole lot to the thread!

Your welcome! Just trying to illustrate how subjective the grading can be. People either like your style of writing or they dont and if you get a generous grader you will end up with a better grade.

I think the writing portion is BS as well. I did get a 5, but I used to edit a magazine for goodness sakes!