deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
I have a confession to make - I've never understood the attraction of alcohol. :oops:

I tasted beer when I was quite young (I think it was an Anchor) - even then I hated the bitterness and the bite. I much preferred the taste of Anglia. And even then I'd never finish the entire can. I like the fizz more than the alcohol.

I suppose I think of alcohol the way I think of drugs and free love and all those glorious things that young people crave. I don't care what other people do nor do I censure them for it - I just don't like it for myself.

Not trying to be righteous or anything ******ed like that; I just never liked the idea of being "not myself".

I can have two glasses of Sancerre and a glass of a South African red at dinner and nothing ridiculous happens. Thing is, I end up buzzed like I always do and can't sleep for ages. I don't like that. I don't like being all warm and stupid giggly. I'd rather achieve that on my own, without the help of some silly drink.

I've had much pleasanter experiences with tea and biscuits than with alcohol. I couldn't be an alkie if I tried.

So that is my non-alcoholic life.

Is there any help for me? :(

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
:D Seriously though. For some people it's an acquired taste, and some people just never get into it. Beer is probably not the best way to start out for a lot of people who aren't used to the taste, and might have given you the wrong impression. Try a nice cranberry and vodka to start, and see if you like that.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
(cytoborg, shhhh!! this is part of my grand plan to have people buy me EtOH +++ in N'orleans and you're wrecking it!)

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
deschutes said:
(cytoborg, shhhh!! this is part of my grand plan to have people buy me EtOH +++ in N'orleans and you're wrecking it!)
(Oops! Sorry! ;) )

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hmm, yep, you're right. Just raided the fridge = nothin. Must run to store.

DOH! In this land of Oz the alcohol is kept under lock and key by the government, and is not available on Sundays, as all good god-fearin folk should be in church today.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
Hmm, yep, you're right. Just raided the fridge = nothin. Must run to store.

DOH! In this land of Oz the alcohol is kept under lock and key by the government, and is not available on Sundays, as all good god-fearin folk should be in church today.
8 newcastles in the fridge. too bad i'm not at home....workin' at lab with a bad case of the shakes.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
deschutes said:
I have a confession to make - I've never understood the attraction of alcohol. :oops:

I tasted beer when I was quite young (I think it was an Anchor) - even then I hated the bitterness and the bite. I much preferred the taste of Anglia. And even then I'd never finish the entire can. I like the fizz more than the alcohol.

I suppose I think of alcohol the way I think of drugs and free love and all those glorious things that young people crave. I don't care what other people do nor do I censure them for it - I just don't like it for myself.

Not trying to be righteous or anything ******ed like that; I just never liked the idea of being "not myself".

I can have two glasses of Sancerre and a glass of a South African red at dinner and nothing ridiculous happens. Thing is, I end up buzzed like I always do and can't sleep for ages. I don't like that. I don't like being all warm and stupid giggly. I'd rather achieve that on my own, without the help of some silly drink.

I've had much pleasanter experiences with tea and biscuits than with alcohol. I couldn't be an alkie if I tried.

So that is my non-alcoholic life.

Is there any help for me? :(
Where's LADoc when we need him?

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
You two are so cute. (Psst... Andy - try getting her loaded before making the moves. Those shots will really sneak up on her).

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
cytoborg said:
Yeah, praying for Monday morning to arrive soon so that the Schlitz may once again flow with abandon.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
geddy said:
You two are so cute. (Psst... Andy - try getting her loaded before making the moves. Those shots will really sneak up on her).
geddy. Read my lips. Nothing. Ridiculous. Happens.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Havarti666 said:
Yeah, praying for Monday morning to arrive soon so that the Schlitz may once again flow with abandon.
Wow, Schlitz... I prefer Red Lable, myself.

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
Havarti666 said:
yeah, i'm bringin' my Remy Martin XO into the lab on Monday and openin that sh!t up IF and ONLY IF I get an email saying that I did indeed match.

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AndyMilonakis said:
yeah, i'm bringin' my Remy Martin XO into the lab on Monday and openin that sh!t up IF and ONLY IF I get an email saying that I did indeed match.
Mmmm....feeling thirsty...reaching into fridge...DOH! :mad:

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Thing is, I end up buzzed like I always do and can't sleep for ages. I don't like that. I don't like being all warm and stupid giggly. I'd rather achieve that on my own, without the help of some silly drink.
Your problem is that you're quitting too soon. You need to keep drinking, harder and harder, until your mind reaches the edge of an internal abyss that beckons to smother the pain of your existence. I recommend Mezcal in Gatorade.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Hey, wait a minute, deschutes - didn't you post a while ago that you "whished you had a Pinot Noir"? So, do you drink wine, then?

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Havarti666 said:
Your problem is that you're quitting too soon. You need to keep drinking, harder and harder, until your mind reaches the edge of an internal abyss that beckons to smother the pain of your existence. I recommend Mezcal in Gatorade.
For sheer endurance, I'd recommend a shot of "Dead Nazi" - Rumpleminz and Jagermeister. Tastes like cough syrup.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Evidently my original post was too long.

deschutes said:
I can have two glasses of Sancerre and a glass of a South African red at dinner and nothing ridiculous happens.
Havarti666, I deal with the pain of my existence with chocolate :p Preferably Bernard Callebaut dark.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
deschutes said:
Evidently my original post was too long.

Havarti666, I deal with the pain of my existence with chocolate :p Preferably Bernard Callebaut dark.
Doh! 2 pieces of advice - drink without eating, and drink the wine faster.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
geddy said:
For sheer endurance, I'd recommend a shot of "Dead Nazi" - Rumpleminz and Jagermeister. Tastes like cough syrup.
Very nice. Add an equal part Bacardi 151 and you have a "Liquid Cocaine," for those times you want to bypass buzzed and blitzed and head straight to blotto.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Chocolate martinis, then. Drink 'em until you can't find your credit card.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Havarti666 said:
Very nice. Add an equal part Bacardi 151 and you have a "Liquid Cocaine," for those times you want to bypass buzzed and blitzed and head straight to blotto.
I thought you needed powdered milk to get blotto.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
geddy said:
Doh! 2 pieces of advice - drink without eating, and drink the wine faster.
*whines* but it's tart, and it burns.

It's not like say, gulping Tropicana Grape where nothing gets in the way.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Havarti666 said:
Chocolate martinis, then. Drink 'em until you can't find your credit card.
Oooh! *perks up* You are serious? Where can I find these?

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Oooh! *perks up* You are serious? Where can I find these?
Any martini bar worth its salt. Or you can make your own.

1 1/2 shots Godiva® chocolate liqueur
1 1/2 shots creme de cacao
1/2 shot vodka
2 1/2 shots half-and-half

Mix all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
Havarti666 said:

1/2 shot vodka

Mix all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.
I think you just changed her life forever.

geddy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Status
deschutes said:
*whines* but it's tart, and it burns.

It's not like say, gulping Tropicana Grape where nothing gets in the way.
What, you have never tried Mad Dog 20/20?

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
counting a bone marrow somewhere near you
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Havarti666 said:

1/2 shot vodka

I almost never drink but this sounds delicious. I must head down to a martini bar and get one. Right now.

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Oh my. Traffic lights.

I think I favour the chocolate at this point. How do I find a martini bar?

OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe I should clarify that last question. How do I tell a martini bar from any other bar?

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Maybe I should clarify that last question. How do I tell a martini bar from any other bar?
Internet, yellow pages, word of mouth. Go to the nearest bar and ask the bartender. Every city has a subculture of bartenders and waitstaff that know each other, and know where to go for various purposes.

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
geddy said:
I think you just changed her life forever.
Yes, in the same way that the Europeans changed the lives of the American Indians forever.