Anastomoses / Collateral Circulation

Started by azidat99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

azidat99

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MS1 here with a question - if you guys know or can help me make a list of some high yield collateral circulation questions for the Abdomen/Pelvis I would greatly it. i.e.: if splenic artery gets clamped what is providing collateral circulation to the spleen or the stomach? I am an MS1 at LECOM and my professor loves this
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A pic is worth a thousand words
vas anat.jpg
 
Several months into my 3rd year. I can already tell you there is quite a difference between every detail you're forced to memorize the first 2 years and what really matters day-to-day in the clinical world
This is good to know. I try my hardest to focus on the clinically relevant information while simultaneously doing well enough to pass the (often poorly written) in-house exams. It often makes me wonder what the purpose of the sheer amount of seemingly irrelevant detail we have to memorize really is.
 
This is good to know. I try my hardest to focus on the clinically relevant information while simultaneously doing well enough to pass the (often poorly written) in-house exams. It often makes me wonder what the purpose of the sheer amount of seemingly irrelevant detail we have to memorize really is.
It’s more important than you think. I’m glad I busted my @$$ so much those first two years. I definitely don’t have the mastery of all that stuff like I did back in step 1 dedicated. But I can look up a disease that hasn’t come up since preclinical and know what’s going on after like 90 seconds of review. Those first two years are much more important than people think.

Except embryology…
 
It’s more important than you think. I’m glad I busted my @$$ so much those first two years. I definitely don’t have the mastery of all that stuff like I did back in step 1 dedicated. But I can look up a disease that hasn’t come up since preclinical and know what’s going on after like 90 seconds of review. Those first two years are much more important than people think.

Except embryology…
My approach has been a running list of every disease we've discussed (even the ones where they are like "you'll never see this!") and the important info pertaining to that. I always try to make sure I pay attention to that kind of stuff, sometimes to the point of giving myself anxiety... but I figured I'd rather see it now and suffer now and hopefully it will make my future a little bit easier. Sometimes I just can't force myself to memorize every step of a biochemical pathway that isn't one of the major ones.

Lord help me with embryo. I'm so glad I passed that class and it is over at least until step 😂
 
My approach has been a running list of every disease we've discussed (even the ones where they are like "you'll never see this!") and the important info pertaining to that. I always try to make sure I pay attention to that kind of stuff, sometimes to the point of giving myself anxiety... but I figured I'd rather see it now and suffer now and hopefully it will make my future a little bit easier. Sometimes I just can't force myself to memorize every step of a biochemical pathway that isn't one of the major ones.

Lord help me with embryo. I'm so glad I passed that class and it is over at least until step 😂
I’ve taken step and level 1 and 2. I’ve yet to have an embryo question. It’s really lower yield than people think. Now that step is p/f, there’s no utility in knowing it.

I always tell everyone about my first patient of 3rd year. He had Job syndrome. And I had to answer pump questions about it bc my attending was a genius I guess lol