Anatomy and Neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else completely frustrated with studying these subjects for the boards?

I hated both subjects first time round and hate them even more now. Just curious if there are likeminds out there. LOL:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

+2, although I have to add that for me relearning biochem is about 1.3x10^6 worse.

biochem definitively takes the cake for me but these subjects are also painful

Members don't see this ad :)
you just nailed my top 2 dreaded materials to review. hopefully FA is good enough for anatomy/neuro, b/c even the HY is giving me a headache.

speaking of bicohem anyone recommend a relativelY SHORT (ie i can get through it in two days) good read?

Yup i get terribly bored with anatomy. I sit down and 10 pages takes me an hour because I wind up doing 10 things other than studying. *hmph*

speaking of bicohem anyone recommend a relativelY SHORT (ie i can get through it in two days) good read?

I have liked the Deja reviews. It is done in a question prompt and then answer format. I have the biochem and it works for me. You can also try the lange biochem notecards.

checkout neuroanatomy illustrated by elsevier...it is concise and full of CLEAR diagrams...but it is a review book, so it does assume you have previous knowledge to some extend.

That is a huge assumption for me at least. LOL.

Unfortunately, I don't learn by diagrams and pictures (one major reason why anatomy and neuroanatomy were the nadir of my medical experience thus far) but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it can help someone else.

surprisedgirl:

HY Biochemistry is only 107 pgs. Just started studying it so I'm not too sure how good it is.
hy biochem sucks

pick up rapid review biochem or brs biochem (the latest editions) - I did both along with kaplan biochem and they have really good clinical correlates that help integrate concepts along different disciplines (which seems to be the trend for all the latest review books)

concerning anatomy: has anyone heard of people being successful w/ using the blue boxes in Moore's Essential as their main/only source for step 1?

That is a huge assumption for me at least. LOL.

Unfortunately, I don't learn by diagrams and pictures (one major reason why anatomy and neuroanatomy were the nadir of my medical experience thus far) but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it can help someone else.

Geez dude, how in the world did you get past neuroanatomy if you didn't diagram all those pathways? That doesn't seem possible. :eek:

Like reading a textbook to learn how to ride a motorcycle.

Memorization and I am very good at clinical correlations. So when we got tested on those- I was fine. When they asked about misc./irrelevant details, I got hosed. True of anatomy too.

I HATE ANATOMY!!!

I've seem to have lost my HY Anatomy book (old edition from a 4th year) and am now left with no resources. I probably lost it on purpose.

What are you guys doing? HY? Kaplan? RR?

I've seen people say that FA is enough, but I am getting schooled with the anatomy questions on Qbank. Not sure if Qbank questions are just ridiculous or if I need to sit down with a book and study beyond FA. Sigh...

I am getting schooled with the anatomy questions on Qbank. Not sure if Qbank questions are just ridiculous

Qbank's anatomy q's are ridiculous - facial layers and spaces of the neck? please.

Upper and lower extremity is very high yield - study the charts in HY Gross Anatomy, know your neuroanatomy well, and stomach whatever else you can.

best of luck.