Anatomy before D1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jam3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'll be entering dental school in 2010 (UCLA). I've been hearing that gross anatomy is a very challenging class; however, I have absolutely no anatomy background.

Do you think it will be helpful to study basic anatomy (either through a class or textbook) before I enter as D1?

I actually have "Gray's Anatomy for Students" textbook, which I can perhaps start off with.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You could, it doesnt change much...you probably don't need to though. The majority of your classmates won't have had the course either.

Taking a basic human anatomy class would be great. I took introductory anatomy in undergrad, and it really helped. I doubt you can self study for it though. If you self-study, you probably won't know what to study and what to skip (you don't need to know everything in Gray's or anny atlas), and will finally end up wasting time on things that are not important. But if you take a class, they will get more things covered.

Hi I'll be entering dental school in 2010 (UCLA). I've been hearing that gross anatomy is a very challenging class; however, I have absolutely no anatomy background.

Do you think it will be helpful to study basic anatomy (either through a class or textbook) before I enter as D1?

I actually have "Gray's Anatomy for Students" textbook, which I can perhaps start off with.

What do you guys think?
Needs to have head and neck. It isn't too bad, just eats up some time.