Anatomy& biochem recommended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newfuturedentist19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
School I got accepted to requires these two classes but I’m still waiting on other schools that don’t. I wanted to wait so I don’t have to go back to school but I think it’s too risky. So my question is are these classes highly recommended before attending dental school? Do they prepare you a lot?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

School I got accepted to requires these two classes but I’m still waiting on other schools that don’t. I wanted to wait so I don’t have to go back to school but I think it’s too risky. So my question is are these classes highly recommended before attending dental school? Do they prepare you a lot?

Thank you in advance!
If it were me, I would go ahead and take both. I learned a lot in both classes, and I’ve heard that it’s beneficial to at least see some of this material before dental school starts.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A&P was the coolest class I took in undergrad. Hard as hail at my school but so interesting. Most useful class in college by far. Plus all the nursing majors were in there ayy ;)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in the same boat minus biochem and the fact that I'm waitlisted at a school that requires anatomy. I just registered for it at my local community college. It also is another thing to add to my list of things I'm doing during my gap year and gives you a good reason to contact schools to give them an update and ask for an update on your acceptance status.

I’d recommend anatomy no matter what if the school you’re accepted to does cadaver dissection like most do. It’s just that much harder if you’ve never seen it before. Tons of info.

Highly recommend taking anatomy. That class was by far the most challenging class of our first D1 semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Anatomy, histology, physiology, biochem... All of these classes help a lot in the first year. If you can only take one, take anatomy. Helped me a ton in the first quarter.

I was in your position. If you are thinking of taking those classes as a last resort, you can try to register for them at the latest time possible that would let you finish them before matriculation. It would give you time to see if you got accepted to other programs if you prefer them over the one you currently got accepted to. That way, you can drop those classes if you got accepted elsewhere.

So my question is are these classes highly recommended before attending dental school?

You will end up learning the material in dental school anyway, but knowing some material ahead of time (e.g. taking classes) will make the ride smoother. Personally, I studied using free online resources and textbooks and I believe it accomplished the same thing.

Take anatomy, it will save your life D1 year

Reactions: 2 users
Take anatomy, it will save your life D1 year

Did you just finish D1 year? Anatomy was pretty awful, I am so happy I took it in undergrad. OP, definitely take anatomy.

Hey! I was wondering if you asked them if the reason you got waitlisted is because you did not have the requirement for anatomy complete
I didn't ask that, but I'm pretty sure I saw someone post recently that they got in and hadn't taken it yet.

Do you guys recommend taking anatomy first then physio or combined (anatomy&physio I,II)?

Either way I’d be taking two courses to meet my requirements.