Anatomy course before Bio 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medaspire1

Reaction score
HI
Am a non trad student currently doing Bio I and Chem I , working as well . Am registering for my spring classes
Due to schedules I am not able to take bio 2 but A & P 1 is available at a suitable evening class.

question .
1. Can I take A&P 1ahead of Bio 2
2. if I take A & P 1 , can I skip taking bio 2 as part of my pre reqs ? Will this be acceptable for schools requirements for bio.

More context : I did my undergrad outside US in engineering and am currently trying to do all the pre-reqs ( Chem , Bio, Phy and OChem ) and some other courses ( pshyc and sociology ) later to meet the requirements . I have finished Phy I and 2 and currently doing chem 1 and bio 1

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

1. Depends on what the prereqs are for A&P but I wouldn’t take the course before bio. Anatomy and physiology are traditionally quite challenging and have a tendency to lower the GPA of many applicants.
2. No*,A&P is not a substitute for bio 2. Bio 2 typically covers more macro concepts of biology as well as archea and fungi. You absolutely need to have this background for the mcat and medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on the school. I know the medical school at my university has 12 hours of “biological sciences.” So basically any type of biology course that has a laboratory included. Look at the medical schools you are interested in to see the specific prerequisites

It’s hard to compare A&P 1 to Bio 2, as these courses focus on different things. I wouldn’t replace Bio 2 with A&P 1, just because it has a lot of content pertaining to the admissions test
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
HI
Am a non trad student currently doing Bio I and Chem I , working as well . Am registering for my spring classes
Due to schedules I am not able to take bio 2 but A & P 1 is available at a suitable evening class.

question .
1. Can I take A&P 1ahead of Bio 2
2. if I take A & P 1 , can I skip taking bio 2 as part of my pre reqs ? Will this be acceptable for schools requirements for bio.

More context : I did my undergrad outside US in engineering and am currently trying to do all the pre-reqs ( Chem , Bio, Phy and OChem ) and some other courses ( pshyc and sociology ) later to meet the requirements . I have finished Phy I and 2 and currently doing chem 1 and bio 1

TIA
1. You can, but it's not recommended--bio 2 should be req. for physiology (and probably anatomy, too, but it depends on the school)
2. NO. Bio 2 is required at every.single.medical.school.
It would serve you well to take several upper division bio courses before you're ready to apply to show that you can handle the rigor of that kind of courseload--e.g. biochemistry, cell bio, microbio, endocrinology, etc. These courses will also help u on the MCAT.
Good luck!

Last edited:
A&P 1 and 2 were my first foray into my diy post-bacc after graduating in 2005 in something very non-science. Sort of a gut and brain check. Some of it was very difficult because I wasn't well versed in some of the biology and chemistry, but it was a great first step for me. I got an A in both classes. Now I'm beginning my chemistry journey, which admittedly is more of a "big bad" for me because of how hard it was back in high school. Wish me luck, lol. Anyway, if it works for your schedule, I'd say consider A&P. It's one of those classes that is required for other health science programs but not necessarily medical school.

Keep in mind that anatomy may be helpful, but you will def. learn it in med school. Physio is more of the how and why of anatomy.

A&P 1 and 2 were my first foray into my diy post-bacc after graduating in 2005 in something very non-science. Sort of a gut and brain check. Some of it was very difficult because I wasn't well versed in some of the biology and chemistry, but it was a great first step for me. I got an A in both classes. Now I'm beginning my chemistry journey, which admittedly is more of a "big bad" for me because of how hard it was back in high school. Wish me luck, lol. Anyway, if it works for your schedule, I'd say consider A&P. It's one of those classes that is required for other health science programs but not necessarily medical school.
I am doing an EMT course now and like the anatomy part of it and also found an interesting teacher who teaches A&P well

I like this channel as well - Institute of Human Anatomy