Anatomy Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taurusgrl326

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble trying to take an anatomy course at community colleges because the schools have been so compacted lately because of the recession. It doesn't help that my undergrad university (UC Irvine) only had anatomy lecture but no LAB. This is the same for all the other UC's which is ironic that they have all these other courses that are really random but not anatomy :(

I've been trying for 3+ semesters to get into an anatomy course and failed each time because the course fills up so fast and there's no waitlist- they use lottery system. It seems that majority of the students in the course are nursing students...And it gets me so mad when I go back and check the schedule in the middle of the semester many people dropped and it's too late for me to add the course since the course is halfway through already. Waste of space if you were to ask me...

There is one place that I can get into anatomy for sure though (2 parts that combine physio and anatomy) it's 8 weekends sat and sun from 8am-6pm like a full day job. The only reason that it is my last resort is because it costs $4000 to take it and no financial aid....If I get into a DPT program but still cannot get into anatomy course, do you think it's worth it to drop $4000? =/

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble trying to take an anatomy course at community colleges because the schools have been so compacted lately because of the recession. It doesn't help that my undergrad university (UC Irvine) only had anatomy lecture but no LAB. This is the same for all the other UC's which is ironic that they have all these other courses that are really random but not anatomy :(

I've been trying for 3+ semesters to get into an anatomy course and failed each time because the course fills up so fast and there's no waitlist- they use lottery system. It seems that majority of the students in the course are nursing students...And it gets me so mad when I go back and check the schedule in the middle of the semester many people dropped and it's too late for me to add the course since the course is halfway through already. Waste of space if you were to ask me...

There is one place that I can get into anatomy for sure though (2 parts that combine physio and anatomy) it's 8 weekends sat and sun from 8am-6pm like a full day job. The only reason that it is my last resort is because it costs $4000 to take it and no financial aid....If I get into a DPT program but still cannot get into anatomy course, do you think it's worth it to drop $4000? =/

Is fullfilling the pre-reqs after you have been accepted to a PT worth $4000????? If you really want to be a PT and you get accepted and you need this class then of course it is worth it. IDK, an 8am-6pm class though. I would think that would be really tough!!!! But if this was my last result, no doubt I would do it.

Are there any other CCs that are close by so you can drive to them. Even if they are 1 hr away?

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting the anatomy professors for the classes that are filled? They can be pretty flexible about letting students in full classes with their permission under extenuating circumstances. In addition, aside from the schools you mentioned, have you looked into every other school in your area? $4k is a whole lot of money for one course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with personally contacting the professor. Perhaps there is something they can do.

I work at a university right now as a departmental secretary and I have had kids come in and say, "I talked to Dr. So and So and he said as long as the course is only 1-2 people over I can get in." and sure enough when I check with Dr. So and So he/she is ok with it, so I can grant the override into the class.

I hear you on the money... But, I had to sink in about $10,000 the last year... No financial aid for a girl who already has a bachelors and isn't seeking a second degree and just wanted to take classes. It was a hit, but one I needed to do!

I agree with the others in that you should definitely try contacting the professor and see if he/she can do anything.

I personally wouldn't do this course. Obviously, $4,000 is ridiculous. In addition though, anatomy is one of those classes that you HAVE to have a good background in to do well in PT. I couldn't imagine dishing it out for 10 hrs a day. You guys will get tired, you will lose focus, you won't WANT to be there. It's a course that you should have a good experience in, and I don't feel like that's a good environment to facilitate that. However, if there's just nothing you can do, and you're dead set on PT, at least you have that option.