Anatomy help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can download some nice pics of dog anatomy that are not labeled so that I can practice labeling bones, muscles, etc.? I have never taken Anatomy before and am completely overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.images4u.com/

(not sure what this link looks like before you buy the program. hopefully, it takes you to the right site).

although it does cost money ($9), this is a pretty basic program to get started with if you've never had anatomy before. i never had it before now, so its been pretty helpful. it has both drawings and dissection pictures. you scroll over muscles/bones and click on them to find out what they are (that way you can quiz yourself).

the one thing it's lacking is all of the parts of the bones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that program... it didn't charge me to look at it either!

when i went through anatomy, we dissected a greyhound and i took lots of photos. i probably still have the unlabeled photos somewhere, if you want them. might be a very large file size, though. pm me if interested.

Last edited:
:hijacked: Twelvetigers- LOVE your avatar!! Neil Patrick Harris, Dr. Horrible's Blog?! LOVE it!

ahem....sorry..we now return to our regularly scheduled program....

Anyone know where I can download some nice pics of dog anatomy that are not labeled so that I can practice labeling bones, muscles, etc.? I have never taken Anatomy before and am completely overwhelmed.

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to study this stuff but for the bones I made my own blank study sheets.

I have the electronic version of the text so I took the figures and removed the text. I'll PM you a link.

See you on monday.

Edit:: WOW. I just looked at images4u.com and it looks like it rocks. Definitely gonna be using that to quiz myself

Last edited:
What I did in anatomy that I thought helped was take colored pencils to my anatomy figures in deLahunta. I figured it wasn't hurting the quality of the book and I learn by putting pencil to paper.

In lecture I'd color in muscles/nerves/etc as the professor covered them.

There is also a coloring book for canine anatomy you can buy at Amazon. I thought it was reasonably helpful, but it does not have everything.

I use two books that have the images numbered but the text in charts, so you can cover the chart. the books are:

Color Atlas of Clinical Anatomy of the Dog & Cat by JS BOYD (I have it on loan from library for 3 months. we use it in our study groups ALOT!)

Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy vol 3 by Done et al (purchased as a recommended text.)

If you have a vet library, check it out. You may find some amazing things without spending money. Our librarians love that the books are getting used (since it justifies spending decisions to show that students actually USE what is bought.)

As for studying, I start out with an articulated skeleton that is in the lab and has the attachments painted. I review all the attachments in detail and stretch material between the attachments to get an idea of how the muscles lay in 3D without the vagaries of a cadaver. I do not try to actually memorize at this point. I also do this in clusters of mucles (ie abductors of the hip) at which point I do try to remember the blood supply/nerves (which tend to serve groups in the same area.)

Then I work on plastinated models and cadavers and unmarked skeletons from various animals (variety helps alot in really getting good for practicals) and I set flashcards up on www.flashcardeschange.com and I have PPT slides set up as flashcards as well (with pictures.)

I try to see as many cadavers as possible, bouncing between them frequently to see hte differences.

I really find lab time helps alot.

MN has a good website

http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu/carnLabs/

We start carnivores next week :oops:

I agree, the Minnesota site rocks. I've used this almost every night to review muscles, veins, arteries, nerves, etc. It's been a life saver.

As for bones - every student gets their own set of dog bones at UF, so that's what I use to review. I also DRAW out everything on my white board; label; erase; rinse; repeat.

**P.S. cheap whiteboard - 4' X 8' "tile board" sheets, from Home Depot or Lowe's, approx. $11.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already pimped the CSU disk, I like it better than MN's site, and I am at MN. My anatomy professors have had my copy of VCA for a few days, the ones who made the MN site! As for study techniques, what I learned is that teaching it to someone else really cementes it in. Everyone in your group can take turns teaching and quizzing each other. My lab partner, who has never taken anatomy before, is really picking it up fast since I started making her show everyone that comes over to look at our dog, rather than me always doing it. (We have a fresh rather than preserved dog and cat, and things look more "alive" than the preserved specimens everyone else has.) It really does work!:cool:

Hi VeganChick,

Well dude,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm about to share you .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] the main concept about human anatomy, physiology and drug therapy, complete with diagrams, courses, lesson plans, quizzes and solutions. I'll provide an effective and painless way to learn or review anatomy and physiology, from the chemical level through the entire organism. Anatomy gives the idea regarding internal structure of human males and females.If you want more information regarding internal structure of Human Body then just your criteria and you will find some useful links..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] .​

Too bad this is the VETERINARY board and, therefore, we aren't interested in HUMAN anatomy. :hungover:

I think that was a bot, anyway?

P.S. It called you 'dude'... lol.

Last edited:

Last edited:
LOL, that had to be a bot...although I am impressed with the sophistication of bots these days if they are calling folks "dude" now :D

You guys are all awesome! Thanks!

Contact Dr. Whalen at CSU for the virtual canine anatomy CD. It really is a life saver, the quiz feature is an awesome review.

Contact Dr. Whalen at CSU for the virtual canine anatomy CD. It really is a life saver, the quiz feature is an awesome review.

Yes, i ordered it, and while I didn't receive it in time to help for my first exam (don't ask :( ) It is a life saver for me now.

Go ahead... ask me any extrinsic muscle of the thorasic limb, I dare you (just don't expect me to spell it correctly)

Yes, i ordered it, and while I didn't receive it in time to help for my first exam (don't ask :( ) It is a life saver for me now.

Go ahead... ask me any extrinsic muscle of the thorasic limb, I dare you (just don't expect me to spell it correctly)

Whats the innervation of serratus ventralis?

Whats the origins of the trapezis?

NOOOOOOOoooooooo......!!!!

Stop the insanity!!

We have our first Anatomy exam on Monday (and yes, I should be studying, not screwing around on the interwebs) :D

I use two books that have the images numbered but the text in charts, so you can cover the chart. the books are:

Color Atlas of Clinical Anatomy of the Dog & Cat by JS BOYD (I have it on loan from library for 3 months. we use it in our study groups ALOT!)

Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy vol 3 by Done et al (purchased as a recommended text.)

If you have a vet library, check it out. You may find some amazing things without spending money. Our librarians love that the books are getting used (since it justifies spending decisions to show that students actually USE what is bought.)

Boyd is my professor!!! Sorry, I just got really excited when I saw you liked his book :) He came out of retirement just for my class!! Yay!!

I found Pasquini's text very helpful.