anatomy lab (cadaver based)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken anatomy lab? My school offers it with predisected bodies. I heard it is difficult, but what are your opinions about it? Should I take that or microbio lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken anatomy lab? My school offers it with predisected bodies. I heard it is difficult, but what are your opinions about it? Should I take that or microbio lab.

See this thread started right before yours... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=440962

I personally wouldn't bother unless you are required to for your major. You will get plenty of cadaver dissection in med school and it loses it's novelty if you've already done it.

I took the course without the lab component but checked out the prosections during open lab. You learn a lot and it lets you learn some cool anatomy and its even cooler clinical significance (the MD/PhD who teaches first year med students also taught us).

I say take it, but like law said, which one matters more for your major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link.

This course isn't actually the students doing dissections. They have been pre-dissected for us. Seems like it would be helpful for med school since I hear how a lot of med students say they wished they took more courses to get them ready for med school.

Thanks for the link.

This course isn't actually the students doing dissections. They have been pre-dissected for us. Seems like it would be helpful for med school since I hear how a lot of med students say they wished they took more courses to get them ready for med school.

People might say that, but the truth of the matter is that for most people, it matters less what you took before and more as to how hard you work once you get there. Anatomy is one of those voluminous courses that few undergrad level courses would make enough of a dent in to turn the tides.

why not take it, you will get a head start for med school. it wont change anything for admissions but at least it will save you a little bit of studying down the road.

I have taken 2 anatomy labs, one where we did actually dissect and I'm sure that the experience will come in handy.

::two weeks and one day into medical school::

There is no such thing as having a head start for medical school. You're going to be studying your butt off whether you took anatomy or not.

why not take it, you will get a head start for med school. it wont change anything for admissions but at least it will save you a little bit of studying down the road.

The "head start" you get from taking anatomy before med school is the same as starting 10 feet ahead of everyone else at the beginning of a marathon.

The advanced anatomy class at my school actually uses the curriculum and tests from a nearby medical school. So I would have to say that taking it would actually help later on in medical school. Not having to study as much for anatomy would allow you to study for other subjects you feel weaker in.

I am going to have to disaggree w/ everyone above. Taking Ugrad anatomy w/ prosections is going to make a big different especially if your med school takes anatomy alone (ie takes a 9 week anat course as opposed to a longitudinal course throughout the semester or year). The learning curve is steep in anatomy. Some of the most difficult things are getting used to the terminology and getting used to thinking in 3D. While you probably wont make a big dent in the material compared to med school, you will have all of the tools to skip the learning curve. The people who had taken a prosection anatomy course were significantly ahead of the rest of us and could really focus on learning the material well instead of just treading water at the beginning.

::two weeks and one day into medical school::

There is no such thing as having a head start for medical school. You're going to be studying your butt off whether you took anatomy or not.

hahaha....four weeks and one day into medical school....i second that.

i say take what you are interested in. i never had anatomy in undergrad....i now i wish i did. not to get a head-start for med school, but because it is really cool....my favorite class by far!

hahaha....four weeks and one day into medical school....i second that.

i say take what you are interested in. i never had anatomy in undergrad....i now i wish i did. not to get a head-start for med school, but because it is really cool....my favorite class by far!
I know what you mean. If med school doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind a PhD in anatomy... except for all the embryology. Seems confusing as heck.