Anatomy Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our gross Anat lab began last week. While I do not mind working my way through the cadaver, I am having a really hard time countering the formaldehyde affect. Other than formaldehyde being carcinogenic, my current issues are eyes/nose irritation. I do not wear contact lens but I was thinking of buying a pair of goggles.

I am wondering if anyone here has any other suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately some people are very sensitive to it, while most seem relatively unaffected. Some people put Vicks under their nose, since it's potent enough to essentially screen you from the weird smells of the lab, but I guess then you'll need to tolerate the Vicks. Regular masks won't do anything, and I'm not sure how practical an industrial style respirator would be or if they would even allow that in lab. Might be a good idea to ask a professor too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Same happened to me.

Eyes watered really bad the first hour or so. After that it subsided.

Glasses wearer. Give your body some time to adjust.

If it doesn't stop after 2-3 weeks consider goggles.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few of the people in my group are very sensitive to it and they just tough it out. It doesn't seem to bother me at all. If you find it overwhelming just step out for a minute is really all you can do.

Appreciate the replies!

For our 3rd lab today, I was ready. I ended up purchasing this goggle:

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 10.23.46 PM.png

And, so far so good. The profs advised to step out as needed and that seems to be working as well.