Anatomy Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wangin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently admitted to Optometry school for this upcoming Fall! I still need to take my Anatomy pre-req though. I will be for sure taking the lecture portion since it is required, but I am unsure about the Anatomy lab portion. I know that even though it's not a pre-req, it is strongly recommended that you take it.

I was just wondering how relevant Anatomy lab will be in optometry school and if current students would recommend it? It's a super heavy lab class at my school, and if I can avoid taking it that would be ideal.

Members don't see this ad.

Optometry school (and boards) will only test head/neck general anatomy. Ocular anatomy is of course much more in-depth at the professional school level and is barely touched upon in undergraduate general anatomy lab. I didn't find it useful except for learning skull anatomy, which is only one week of work at the undergrad level and will just be repeated verbatim in professional school. Learning the complexities of the blood vessels, nerves, and muscle origins/attachments/actions for the rest of the body IS A PLETHORA of difficult information that you will not use in your profession. You will learn about most systems' functionality in physiology of course, but there is no point to need to know its anatomy.

Skip.