Anatomy + lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I tried searching for this but apparently the search function is down or no longer an option, so apologies if this has been asked recently. I'm taking vertebrate anatomy and evolution this semester as my first anatomy class in college, and it's ridiculously hard for me to memorize this stuff. I had no problem with organic chem, physics, calculus, etc. because you can actually solve the problems and there is reason behind what you are doing, but with anatomy we are basically just memorizing random 15-letter words. In lab we looked at a shark, turtle, and cat skull this week and have to know probably 100 different parts for the exam, almost all of which have obscure names with no apparent rhyme or reason. The class part is nearly as bad - we have to remember all the orders, species, genus, etc...for tens of different species, and again the names are pretty obscure. Are there any specific strategies that you guys have found work well for studying for these types of classes, especially for those who have trouble memorizing random information?

Thanks,
Luke

Members don't see this ad.

Id look through the allopathic forum if I were you. Most of them have been through gross anatomy and have had to memorize even more than you do...they probably have some great tips and strategies for memorization. Good luck!

You'll find that most of the information isn't random. Look for trends...look for things that describe the location. I'm taking Human Gross Anatomy right now, and you have to think about the function of a muscle (for example) to be able to identify it. For example in the forearm, the "Flexor Carpi Radialis" is a name that is very descriptive. It's a muscle that flexes the carpal bone area and is on the same side as the radius bone. Some names you just have to come up with a way to memorize. Repetition is the key.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's all about repetition. my tactic for understanding and learning anatomy is to learn it, review it, and when i feel like i'm ready, i'll teach it to someone. that someone can be a classmate, a significant other or friend (who isn't really listening but allowing you to dump info on them). when you have to teach it to someone, it becomes more firmly embedded in your brain and allows you to make connections to see the big picture.

sure it's annoying to memorize a billion different things and i'm guessing the test won't cover every single thing you think you have to know. at least i don't see how a prof could be that sadistic.

Well, I remember I did really really well on one anatomy test and that was the one where I covered up all the parts with little post it notes (I think...my memory is bad now), and just brute force memorized all the diagrams for days on end, lifting up the little notes if I couldn't remember what the name was. Oh actually I think I used little pieces of paper with tape, not real post it notes, lol. I will admit that it was extremely not fun studying this way, since I was basically sitting in the library for 8 hours a day for like 4 days straight (between/after classes obviously).

Conversely, I did rather poorly on the one anatomy test where I didn't have enough time to just go over everything over and over and over because I had a few other tests that week. You won't even know how pissed off I was when I found out that I could have just taken the test the next day without penalty-after I had already taken the test and done kinda poorly.

Anyways, yeah it's a lot of stuff but it'll get worse in med school so just suck it up and stare at the diagrams over and over and over until it's burned into your memory.

And it's not completely random, you can use the connections between the parts to help remember them. And hey, at least you don't have to remember 20 drug names for each body part yet! lol