anatomy on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how should i prepare for anatomy on step 1? is reading through and memorizing a high yield book (I have USMLE road map to gross anatomy) worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I read through Kaplan notes and First Aid and that was good enough. I also made sure to look over Ct scans, x-rays, MRIs. But you'll see these more in neuroanatomy. Also make sure and go over High-Yield Neuroanatomy by James Fix.

I am wondering the same thing too....I dont know whether to spend time on anatomy or review more high yield material such as path....I think it would be safe it assume that I have forgotten 95% of anatomy from 1st year though:(

how much anatomy is actually on step 1? is it even enough to warrant studying a review book besides first aid? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
how much anatomy is actually on step 1? is it even enough to warrant studying a review book besides first aid? thanks

There are lots of write-ups breaking down the material tested by subject here.

This was my experience:

- Anatomy: all neuro, with questions hinging on the ability to identify neurological structures on MRI (identify structure knocked out in someone who can’t store new memories), and conceptual questions (MRI shows lesion in Wernicke’s region of temporal lobe -> degeneration of medial geniculate body). Outside of neuro, I don’t recall any pure anatomy questions; the ones I do recall tied into embryo or path.

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of write-ups breaking down the material tested by subject here.

This was my experience:

Quite frankly, I've found that Underground Clinical Vignettes - Anatomy is exceptional. It takes about 5 hours to read (~10 to appreciate) and covers the CLINICALLY RELEVANT anatomy. I would know this book + FA + anything encountered in the QBanks. I would not waste your time with Kaplan notes anatomy, BRS Anatomy or USMLE World Map. You are less likely to be tested on minutiae and more likely to be assessed on clinical application (e.g. loss of sensation would occur WHERE if an injury occurs HERE, not "what is the insertion point of this muscle?" or "is this muscle strap-like?"). The QBank questions give you a good idea of the anatomy that will show up on the exam. You might actually find it's your strong point after doing QBank questions and you hadn't realized it before. The anatomy on the step isn't the same as that when being quizzed pedantically in anatomy lab.

~Phloston

Quite frankly, I've found that Underground Clinical Vignettes - Anatomy is exceptional. It takes about 5 hours to read (~10 to appreciate) and covers the CLINICALLY RELEVANT anatomy. I would know this book + FA + anything encountered in the QBanks. I would not waste your time with Kaplan notes anatomy, BRS Anatomy or USMLE World Map. You are less likely to be tested on minutiae and more likely to be assessed on clinical application (e.g. loss of sensation would occur WHERE if an injury occurs HERE, not "what is the insertion point of this muscle?" or "is this muscle strap-like?"). The QBank questions give you a good idea of the anatomy that will show up on the exam. You might actually find it's your strong point after doing QBank questions and you hadn't realized it before. The anatomy on the step isn't the same as that when being quizzed pedantically in anatomy lab.

~Phloston

I actually got at least two minutiae questions in anatomy on my exam (both of which I think I got wrong) involving some weird pelvic anatomy. It was kind of near the end of the exam so what they were about is something of a blur.

Not saying that it's likely, but it does happen.

I actually got at least two minutiae questions in anatomy on my exam (both of which I think I got wrong) involving some weird pelvic anatomy. It was kind of near the end of the exam so what they were about is something of a blur.

Not saying that it's likely, but it does happen.

I think it goes without saying that in ANY SUBJECT AREA there will be bizarre, pedantic questions. There's a reason why nobody gets 100% on the exam, no matter how much he or she reads, irrespective of background.

I've encountered some "harder" anatomy questions that were borderline pedantic (e.g. knowing the contents of the tarsal tunnel such that if you injure the tibial nerve, you're most likely to injure which tendon that lies nearby). But even in the question stem, they said what specific loss of function the pt had. So even though I hadn't the slightest clue that flexor hallicus longus was in the tarsal tunnel (which for some people with anatomy backgrounds, that might be a joke), it was still implied as the answer based on the pt's loss of function of the big toe.