anatomy questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winfred

Winfred
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all!
I can't seem to find the correct information on this anatomy question I have to answer! Although it's quite clinical aswel!
In venipuncture the best site in the neck is the middle third of the external jugular vein.
But can anyone please tell me why its the middle third?
is it related to the nerves in this area?

Members don't see this ad.

what species are we talking about? horses - i would argue that the the upper third is more suitable given that the vein is the most superficial at this point. as you move caudally you run into the muscles of the neck (its been a while since i've done anatomy - i think its the omohyoidius and omotransversarious) and the vein becomes more difficult to hit. The concern isn't the nerves - its the carotid artery - ie: many (if not most) drugs you give IV in the jugular you dont want going intracarotid. For small animals, i think the middle third is the most accessible, given you dont have as much neck as you do in the horse - but the principles are the same.

I agree, middle for small animals, upper for Eq due to the musculature. It is all mostly about accessibility and where it "pops out" the best when you hold off.