Test Tools Anatomy Resources-New Edition of Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy Coming Soon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for anatomy. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 6e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

When it comes to mastering Anatomy, LWW is ready to help you succeed! Check out our Inside Anatomy Lab Guide to get hints from students and professors on starting your gross anatomy course. If you have already taken anatomy and used our products during your study, we'd love to know how they worked for you.

TEXTBOOKS

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 6e—NEW EDITION AVAILABLE 2/10/2009!
The most trusted anatomy resource on the market! The Sixth Edition features a modified interior design with new and improved artwork that further enhances the user-friendliness of the text. The student-favorite, "Blue Boxes" are now grouped to reduce interruption of text and are categorized with icons to promote easier comprehension of clinical information. The Bottom Line summaries have been refined to clearly call out key points for quick study.

Essential Clinical Anatomy, 3e

Clinical Anatomy by Regions, 8e

Clinical Anatomy by Systems

Fundamental Anatomy

ATLASES & DISSECTORS

Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Atlas of Anatomy— featuring more than 750 new, modern images, the brand new Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Atlas of Anatomy is a vibrantly colored regional atlas offering an unprecedented combination of visual aesthetic appeal and anatomical accuracy. Many student-friendly features set this atlas apart from others on the market, including:

Check out sample images: http://www.lwwanatomyatlas.com/student/gallery.html

Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 12e

Grant's Dissector, 14e

Anatomy: A Regional Atlas of the Human Body, 5e

Clemente's Dissector, 2e

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body, 6e

REVIEW BOOKS

Clinical Anatomy for Your Pocket

BRS Gross Anatomy, 6e

High-Yield Gross Anatomy, 3e

Anatomy Recall, 2e

Underground Clinical Vignettes Step 1: Anatomy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an older version of Moore' Clinical Anatomy, 3E. I believe that most of the anatomy contents has not changed, as it is pretty universal, however, there must be improvements and variations in the newer edition, which I am looking forward to. I hope to continue updating my resource materials to keep up with the new changes. :) Thank you.

I have an older version of Moore' Clinical Anatomy, 3E. I believe that most of the anatomy contents has not changed, as it is pretty universal, however, there must be improvements and variations in the newer edition, which I am looking forward to. I hope to continue updating my resource materials to keep up with the new changes. :) Thank you.

Thanks for your post! The revised Sixth Edition boasts a modified interior design with new and improved artwork that further enhances the user-friendliness of the text …there is a lot more integration of clinical imaging and all the surface anatomy images are now integrated throughout each chapter; this is one request we received from a lot of students. (in past editions there was a separate surface anatomy section). Also, the student-favorite clinical "Blue Boxes" have been significantly enhanced. They are now grouped by topic to reduce interruption of the text and have a really cool series of icons to categorize the clinical information found in the Blue Box. There are 6 classifications: Anatomical variations, Life cycle, Trauma, Diagnostic procedures, Surgical procedures, and Pathology. You can view sample pages from Chapter 7 (Head) via the following link:
http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-7525-0

Thanks so much!
LWW

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the 6th edition preview and from what I understand, the online materials mean that the book comes with just an access code, not a physical CD or DVD of the materials, is this correct?

Also, about the faculty resources: would we have to buy a specific version to have access to these features? It's possible that I would like making personal tests or have access to a question bank based on the book materials.

I was looking at the 6th edition preview and from what I understand, the online materials mean that the book comes with just an access code, not a physical CD or DVD of the materials, is this correct?

Also, about the faculty resources: would we have to buy a specific version to have access to these features? It's possible that I would like making personal tests or have access to a question bank based on the book materials.

Thanks for your inquiry...that's correct, there will be an access code printed on the inside cover of the text with the corresponding URL which will unlock access to the student resources:
-Entire contents of the book, fully searchable
-Over 100 USMLE-style questions
-145 Case studies
-3 “Blue Box” video animations (videos based on the Clinical "Blue Boxes")

As for the faculty/instructor assets, this need to be set-up through a LWW sales representative. These are only available to instructors and are not sold through regular sales channels. If you teach an anatomy course, I can connect you with the local rep.

Thanks!
LWW

I had this book damaged and am looking to replace it. I will hold off until the 6th edition comes out. Do you plan on having iphone applications for this text when it releases? Thanks.

Hi I was wondering if this book has good study material for ENT related surgeries?

Thanks for your inquiry...that's correct, there will be an access code printed on the inside cover of the text with the corresponding URL which will unlock access to the student resources:
-Entire contents of the book, fully searchable
-Over 100 USMLE-style questions
-145 Case studies
-3 “Blue Box” video animations (videos based on the Clinical "Blue Boxes")

As for the faculty/instructor assets, this need to be set-up through a LWW sales representative. These are only available to instructors and are not sold through regular sales channels. If you teach an anatomy course, I can connect you with the local rep.

Thanks!
LWW

Thank you for the clarification. I figured that the faculty thing is a special set up for a class. I am not teaching or in a position to do so; it was just my curiosity.

A question about the book being accessible online: does this mean I have to maintain a constant internet connection to view the book?

I had this book damaged and am looking to replace it. I will hold off until the 6th edition comes out. Do you plan on having iphone applications for this text when it releases? Thanks.

There will be a few video animations that come free with text. The topics are based on the Clinical "Blue Boxes" found throughout the text. These will be delivered online but can be downloaded to a mobile device. The 3 topics that will be available with the book are Carpal Tunnel, Breast Cancer, and Inguinal hernias. If these are well received we plan to have additional topics available for sale.

Thanks!
LWW

Thanks. I really felt that the blue boxes were the most helpful in my first year in anatomy course.

Will LWW be offering any Windows Mobile applications? I figure using a flash-card like app on my phone is a great way to study.

Does each edition of little Moore (Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy) correspond to a particular edition of big Moore (Clinically Oriented Anatomy)?

Last edited:
Do you have an atlas that is like real pictures not just sketches I feel like in lab these sketches arent as useful as the actual pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
How helpful would this book be in reviewing anatomy for third year clerkships?

I used Grants, HY, and the color atlas. I don't know that I would have made it without them.

Unfortunately, I passed most of my materials down, and now I need a good atlas for surgery.

Does each edition of little Moore (Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy) correspond to a particular edition of big Moore (Clinically Oriented Anatomy)?

The little Moore presents the core anatomical concepts found in big Moore, but it not tied to a specific version of the big Moore. It's designed to be a stand-alone resource.

Thanks!
LWW

Will LWW be offering any Windows Mobile applications? I figure using a flash-card like app on my phone is a great way to study.

Yes, we currently have version of our Board Review Series (BRS) flashcards: Micro, Path, Pharm, and Gross Anatomy available via the itunes app store and are continuting to develop additional products. Anything specific you would like to see?

Thanks!!
LWW

Yes, we currently have version of our Board Review Series (BRS) flashcards: Micro, Path, Pharm, and Gross Anatomy available via the itunes app store and are continuting to develop additional products. Anything specific you would like to see?

Thanks!!
LWW

Are these flash cards mainly for the iPhone/iPod touch since they are on iTunes? I was considering getting a smartphone in the future that also used Windows Mobile or another Flash based OS, which the iPhone doesn't use. Will there be an option for those types of PDAs/phones in the future?

Do you have an atlas that is like real pictures not just sketches I feel like in lab these sketches arent as useful as the actual pictures.

Yes, take a look at Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Rohen. It presents putstanding full-color, very high-quality photographs of cadaver dissections. Check out the really positive reviews on Amazon.

We also have a set of flash cards based on the Atlas: Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flash Cards These are the only set of photographic flash cards on the market!

Thanks!
LWW

The new artwork that is featured in the 6th edition: Is this sketched, computer generated, or real photos, or a combination?

Thanks for your question! The 6th edition includes a combination of over 1,000 illustrations, surface anatomy photographs and diagnostic images in a variety of modalities.

Thanks!
LWW

How helpful would this book be in reviewing anatomy for third year clerkships?

Hi Brett5--which title are you referring to? Clinical Anatomy for Your Pocket would be a good review resource during clerkships. Check out a sample chapter:

http://www.lww.com/static/docs/product/samplechapters/978-0-7817-9193-9_Chapter 1.pdf

It's a highly streamlined 4/color review in a really cool tabular format. It's spiral bound and pocket-sized which make it nice and portable.

Thanks!
LWW

I used Grants, HY, and the color atlas. I don't know that I would have made it without them.

Unfortunately, I passed most of my materials down, and now I need a good atlas for surgery.

Hi PenguinHead,

A new edition of Grant's Atlas published just last year. It comes with online access to the book, so you can reference in print or online. Rohen is also a really popular atlas for practicing surgeons. If you plan to go into surgery, you should definitely check it out.

Thanks!
LWW

Thanks for your question! The 6th edition includes a combination of over 1,000 illustrations, surface anatomy photographs and diagnostic images in a variety of modalities.

Thanks!
LWW

I was wondering when we could expect a new edition of Rohen's. I see that the last edition was in 2006.

Clinically Oriented Anatomy is a wonderful book. I really enjoyed the Blue Boxes. Does that mean that there won't be an Essentials coming out at the same time?

I was wondering when we could expect a new edition of Rohen's. I see that the last edition was in 2006.

A new edition of Rohen will be available in March 2010.

Thanks!
LWW

Clinically Oriented Anatomy is a wonderful book. I really enjoyed the Blue Boxes. Does that mean that there won't be an Essentials coming out at the same time?

Thanks so much for your feedback. A new edition of the Moore Essentials book will be available Spring 2010.

Thanks!
LWW

I loved the 5th edition of this book! Hope the 6th edition is even better!

thanks for participating

Would you recommend the full Clinically Oriented Anatomy textbook for first year medical students, or do you feel that Essential Clnical Anatomy tends to be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.