Anatomy Scare!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeedTheHippo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So many people who have taken the exam in the past few months have mentioned many things they saw during the actual test. Across the board, everyone I spoke to, and MANY ppl on sdn, have mentioned there was much more anatomy than they expected, and some ppl say it was definitely a game changer for them... With this in mind, does anyone have plans to go outside of FA for anatomy? Compared to what we learned during M1, there is probably 30-40% of the info in FA.

My exam is next week, and even though I did very well in Anatomy during med school, I dont want that to be the difference of 10-20 points for me on the exam. Anyone have any ideas on what to look over for the test, like a last minute type deal?? Please share any info you have of what was on the test, or what people out there are recommending to do

Members don't see this ad.

I've read on here that some people go back to BRS Anatomy and read the chapter summaries. What about going back and doing the UMICH questions?

So many people who have taken the exam in the past few months have mentioned many things they saw during the actual test. Across the board, everyone I spoke to, and MANY ppl on sdn, have mentioned there was much more anatomy than they expected, and some ppl say it was definitely a game changer for them... With this in mind, does anyone have plans to go outside of FA for anatomy? Compared to what we learned during M1, there is probably 30-40% of the info in FA.

My exam is next week, and even though I did very well in Anatomy during med school, I dont want that to be the difference of 10-20 points for me on the exam. Anyone have any ideas on what to look over for the test, like a last minute type deal?? Please share any info you have of what was on the test, or what people out there are recommending to do

Best bet is not to stress over it. Like the previous poster said, people have mentioned the BRS Anatomy chapter summaries. What the goljan HY notes, I think there are like 10 or so pages of anatomy in that also...

i had a butt load of anatomy questions--probably about 3-4 per block. I think most of them went my way though--i feel like the subject matter in anatomy is so broad you cant exactly prepare for it--stick to first aid and look at some images in netter's--youll do fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Granted we're not taking the boards for another two months or so, but one guy in my class got a 99 percentile on the GA shelf back in first year only reading the clinical points in BRS Anatomy. Probably a quick and easy way to review it.

I haven't had any problem with the NBME anatomy questions I've come across so far. Most of them are really straightforward and obvious. (You get stabbed at T12. What's injured? You have foot drop. What did you hurt?). That's coming from someone who did his level best to completely purge anatomy and everything about it as soon as possible, too. Even if you do get hammered with anatomy, it really shouldn't be a problem, assuming they don't decide to seriously dick you and put questions that are totally different than anything they've asked previously on the test.

this thread has me freaking out a bit. I got one of the top grades in my class in anatomy and for the life of me I can't remember whats at T12. granted, I haven't reviewed it for 18 mo., but still...

Anatomy has always been my worst subject. I was scared out of my mind when I started studying it for step 1. Here is what I did.

1. read every anatomy page in FA. The back cover of the book lists every page that covers anatomy

2. leisurely-i can't stress that enough- leisurely read HY anatomy. Don't go nuts, there is so much in there

3. do crazy amounts of anatomy questions. This will show you which parts to really focus on. Like who knew that we had to know all the nerves in the leg??

4. go back every now and then-like once every 4-5 days- and read over the important parts again. Its ridiculous how quickly you forget this stuff.

these are the things that i noticed were really important that arent that clear in FA

1. like the entire lower limb. The arteries, the saphinous vein (i know i can't spell stop being like that), the nerves and vessels that go under the medial maliolus (tom dick and very nervous harry). the Dermitomes of the leg and the nerves they feed.

2: heart: every little thing about the location. For the life of me i can't remember that the left atrium is what hypertrophies and impinges on the long thoracic nerve (from the vegas), paralyzing the palatoglossis, making your voice horse and sexy...anyway know it

3. chest: what if you stab yourself with a pencil in the 5th intercostal space to get out of taking the board...what do you hit? know it

4. HERNIAS!!!! don't want to learn them, don't want to get them

5. duadenum: what's behind every part. Remember in family guy when Stewie went inside of Peter and shot his duodenum to stop him from sleeping with Lois? well i'm sure you can use that to come up with a mnemonic to remember what vessels are behind it.

Anyway, that's what i'm doing, Although I havn't taken the test yet, so maybe you should hold off on doing my method until I get my score.

For the life of me i can't remember that the left atrium is what hypertrophies and impinges on the long thoracic nerve (from the vegas), paralyzing the palatoglossis, making your voice horse and sexy...anyway know it
Not long thoracic nerve, you mean recurrent laryngeal nerve (left). Long thoracic nerve innervates serratus anterior.

Anatomy questions in UW is more than enough to prepare you for the anatomy section on the test. Know the anatomy in FA. I would peruse the HY Anatomy for Upper Limb and Lower Limb and maybe GI but other than that, it's a waste of your time and overkill.

I would really just look at FA and UW anatomy q's and move on. Low yield.

dreading this! I have not done any anatomy yet :(
I will come back to this thread and hopefully know everything in these posts in a few weeks.

Maybe we should make a list of "high yield" anatomy facts that are 100% must to know

On my exam all of the anatomy questions I had (which were about 1-2 per block) were VERY basic.............nothing that First Aid didnt cover.

If you're really freaked out about anatomy I would recommend two sources that would essentially cover everything if you're strapped for time:

1) First Aid
2) Uworld -----> The key to this is to read the WRONG & the RIGHT answer choices...........all explanations contain lotsa important info...

If you're not as strapped........than BRS anatomy, of course

hope this helps

UCV Anatomy is another way to get through anatomy wihtout reading boring text. It goes through the high yield concepts in the form of clinical vignettes with typical patient presentations and often CT/MRI's

I've read on here that some people go back to BRS Anatomy and read the chapter summaries. What about going back and doing the UMICH questions?
I'm only reading the chapter summaries - I hope Goljan and UW is good enough for pictures. As far as the questions - I have a feeling it will be anatomy related to disease process or injury.
I haven't had any problem with the NBME anatomy questions I've come across so far. Most of them are really straightforward and obvious. (You get stabbed at T12. What's injured? You have foot drop. What did you hurt?). That's coming from someone who did his level best to completely purge anatomy and everything about it as soon as possible, too. Even if you do get hammered with anatomy, it really shouldn't be a problem, assuming they don't decide to seriously dick you and put questions that are totally different than anything they've asked previously on the test.
I can see it now.. patient gets shanked by prison inmate at T12 and starts crying like a little b*tch. What branch of the autonomic nervous system acts upon the glands that produce tears?
Anatomy has always been my worst subject. I was scared out of my mind when I started studying it for step 1. Here is what I did.

2: heart: every little thing about the location. For the life of me i can't remember that the left atrium is what hypertrophies and impinges on the long thoracic nerve (from the vegas), paralyzing the palatoglossis, making your voice horse and sexy...anyway know it

3. chest: what if you stab yourself with a pencil in the 5th intercostal space to get out of taking the board...what do you hit? know it
I hate saying lol, but this one deserves it. LoL!

I can see it now.. patient gets shanked by prison inmate at T12 and starts crying like a little b*tch. What branch of the autonomic nervous system acts upon the glands that produce tears?
I don't know the answer, but that's my kind of anatomy question. :laugh:

BTW, are you guys just slapping the BRS summaries into whatever Taus subject is appropriate? That's my plan.

I don't know the answer, but that's my kind of anatomy question. :laugh:

BTW, are you guys just slapping the BRS summaries into whatever Taus subject is appropriate? That's my plan.
Lacrimal glands - parasympathetic nervous system (FA mnemonic: DUMBBELSS.. appropriate for crying prison inmate shank scenario).

FA Chapter - BRS Anatomy chapter summaries
FA MSK - Upper Limb, Lower Limb
FA CV & Resp - Thorax
FA GI - Abdomen
FA Repro & Renal - Perineum & Pelvis
FA Neuro - Back, Head & Neck

I'm happy with the summaries b/c I really didn't want to go overboard.
*I think all this BRS business was your idea in the first place :idea: Thanks.