• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

detroitriver

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Im taking anatomy in my first year of undergrad its technical name is "functional anatomy." Im wondering if this will count towards my science gpa. Many people were shocked when I told them I have a first year anatomy class but it is part of my kinesiology program, will it depend upon the school in which I may apply to if it falls under a science gpa or is it dependent on my school? thanks for any help.

AlwaysImproving

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you call AADSAS (617-612-2045), they will answer this question. They are the ones who decide.
Hope this helps :D
GL with everything!!

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
This is also probably something I might need to call AADSAS about, but thought its worth a shot...I will be taking a class for my major called "Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy"...I know a lot of dschools have anatomy as a recommended course- do you think this counts??

About the Ads

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
This is also probably something I might need to call AADSAS about, but thought its worth a shot...I will be taking a class for my major called "Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy"...I know a lot of dschools have anatomy as a recommended course- do you think this counts??

If it's 'recommended' and not a required course, I don't see how it can hurt ;)

Is there a cadaver lab? Because that is what you're going to be exposed to in D school, so I think that is the best way to prepare, but like I said, anything helps

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I can't see how anatomy isn't science but you never know. As far as taking anatomy to help you get in/do well in d-school, try to make it gross human anatomy WITH a lab. Get an A in that and your app might make it in the "good" stack a hell of a lot faster than you think. Anatomy is usually the hardest academic part of d-school for most students.

Wax n Relax

Triple Cocktail & Dreams
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
If you get lucky and you go to an undergrad that has a gross anatomy class which also offers cadaver dissection, i STRONGLY suggest taking that course. I am currently getting dominated by gross anatomy right now so the more experience the better. Sorry this is a tangent off the original post.

detroitriver

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I can't see how anatomy isn't science but you never know. As far as taking anatomy to help you get in/do well in d-school, try to make it gross human anatomy WITH a lab. Get an A in that and your app might make it in the "good" stack a hell of a lot faster than you think. Anatomy is usually the hardest academic part of d-school for most students.

I'm doing pretty well in it right now but it is a ton of work, the class average is 65ish and I'm currently sitting around an 80. The class does have a lab but it is not a cadaver lab, I'm not sure if my u would even allow me to take or offers a more advanced class w/ possibly a cadaver but would it even be worth it to take it when I could be taking a different science class?

Cadaver Lab is awesome and it really helps to actually see all of the functional relationships in the human body. I'm not aware of too many undergrads that have lab WITH dissection, but the one I took had prosections (torsos and heads and stuff that were prepared by our lab guy yearly or so) and we were allowed to open up the med students' bodies from time to time. It was very very interesting, by far one of my favourite undergrad classes. If you have a chance to take something like that, take it.

LNinlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I am interested in hearing how you guys have an anatomy lab without a cadaver? Even the A & P classes (soph. level) use the cadavers at our school. It is very interesting...we have seen the cadaver from all skin attached to now where we are down to the reproductive system, circulatory system, etc...

I thought this was normal for undergrad anatomy courses?? You guys don't do this?

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The bigger universites have labs with cadavers. A lab without a cadaver really isnt a lab, IMO. This doesn't mean you can't learn anatomy from a book,..you definitely can but to learn it as you disect really burns it in the old nogg'n.

LNinlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
The bigger universites have labs with cadavers. A lab without a cadaver really isnt a lab, IMO. This doesn't mean you can't learn anatomy from a book,..you definitely can but to learn it as you disect really burns it in the old nogg'n.

I would totally agree! It is so much better to get in there and SEE the muscle attachments. Plus if you are lucky, your cadaver will have knee or hip replacements or pace makers or any other interesting feat of medicine!

PDizzle

PreDents.com
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
LSU, New Orleans
www.predents.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would totally agree! It is so much better to get in there and SEE the muscle attachments. Plus if you are lucky, your cadaver will have knee or hip replacements or pace makers or any other interesting feat of medicine!

I got to see what emphysema looks like on my cadaver!:eek:

If I was a smoker, it would have made me quit cold turkey, right there on the spot!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.