Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRealDrZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search about what book to use for anatomy and wondered if I just did FA and then the Kaplan QBank if that were enough for anatomy study (gross...not including Neuro or Embryo) or if I should read my BRS anatomy or Kaplan anatomy. Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you're talking about Step 1. When I took it last year, I used a book called "Road Map Gross Anatomy" which was very short, very easy to read, and had very clinically-relevent info. BRS Gross Anatomy is way too dense and not a good review for Step 1, in my opinion. Didn't use Kaplan, so I can't comment on it. I thought what was in First Aid, while extremly high-yield, was too sparse to stand on its own.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it safe to say that the Kaplan anatomy and histo sections are overkill?

I think Kaplan anatomy has too much reading, I liked the Roadmap anatomy as well. Lots of clinical examples, similar to the blue boxes in Moore-Dalley. If you are taking the COMLEX, it will behoove you to not slack on the anatomy. Several people in the class before me didn't do so hot on the COMLEX because they didn't study anatomy. Sure you might do well on USMLE without studying anatomy, but remember you still need to pass COMLEX, and don't forget that this is the score that will still show up on your applications.