and, one more thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to borrow the minimum amount of loans and in doing so run through the meager amount of money you've been saving to, uh, let's say buy pants that aren't made out of garbage bags? I don't have a lot of money saved up, but enough that I could have a little emergency reserve if I actually wanted to do/buy something fun. Should I just say screw it and throw my relatively small savings at the medical school money monster? I figure some way or another they're going to get all my money anyway. Basically, is there any point in keeping let's say $5000 cash in a bank acount that could be going to pay the gap between federal loans and cost of attending and just borrowing $5000 more in private loans? Are you guys going to cash out all of your assests to minimize the amount you have to borrow, or is there some reason to keep some of these funds? Any advice would be tubular because I would really prefer not to wear trash bags.

Members don't see this ad.

Welp, gotta amdit the 'hot sex' drew me into this thread :laugh: I feel so dirty ;)

Anyway, I am wondering the same thing as well - about loans that is :p !

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hang onto the cash (maybe not all 5k, but at least like 3) should something totally unexpected happen and you need the money right away. Say, for example, there's a fire in your apartment and you need to buy all new stuff, or you car dies and you need to put money down on a new one, something like that.

Hey, and what about the hot sex? Where?
I am sure there is hot sex in medical school. White coats! Mmmm. :love:

Well, normally you have to go out and look for it (I know, what a damn bother), but if you're lucky enough to go to Johns Hopkins you can usually just round the corner and pick yourself up a French expatriate prostitute (this is actually how Hopkins, or Johns as I like to call it, got such a good reputation...perverted academic types, you know). I recommend Cloe, she seemed nice (the bring home to mamma kind), and was surprisingly easy, who woudda thunk it, not like those seasoned crack ***** ******.

PineappleGirl said:
Hey, and what about the hot sex? Where?
I am sure there is hot sex in medical school. White coats! Mmmm. :love:

So, then, it goes without saying that if you have a significant amount of savings like let's say >$10,000 (not me), then you should definitely put it to school? I mean I guess the alternative is using money that accrues interest. Does anyone know med students that maintain money for investments. I guess to make it worth your while you would need to be making more money on the investments than the cost of the accruing interest. Still, has anyone heard of/considered this alternative?

Haha! You just gotta be married then the sex is always hot!! You know you're jealous. It's cool, I understand.

Dr. Donkey said:
I recommend Cloe, she seemed nice (the bring home to mamma kind), and was surprisingly easy, who woudda thunk it, not like those seasoned crack ***** ******.

Did someone say "crack ******"?

Mmm, peanut butter and crack sandwich. Scrum-diddly-umtious!

Some times married sex is really hot. Especially when both people stop caring about freaking out their partners and pull out the two footer and love swing. Actually, I would think married sex can be a lot more racier.

hoberto said:
Haha! You just gotta be married then the sex is always hot!! You know you're jealous. It's cool, I understand.

I figure some way or another they're going to get all my money anyway.

You figure correctly. Replace your pants, then save as much of that nugget as possible. Over the next 4 yrs., remember that you will spend roughly $2000 on board exams ($500 step 1 + $500 step 2ck + $1000 step 2cs), and likely even more on the interview trail senior year.

Also, for that vast majority of you taking out federal student loans: borrow from more than one lender! If you have only one lender at the end of med school, you will only be able to consolidate with that lender -- you will have no other choice. If you borrow from more than one, you will be able to consolidate federal loans with anyone you choose. I don't know the basis for this rule, but it's there. In fact, don't take my word for it...inquire at your school's financial aid office.

Def. take all the subsidized loan money. If that is enough, then put your other money into a savings account so you can make more money on your money.

Rolandicfissure said:
Also, for that vast majority of you taking out federal student loans: borrow from more than one lender! If you have only one lender at the end of med school, you will only be able to consolidate with that lender -- you will have no other choice. If you borrow from more than one, you will be able to consolidate federal loans with anyone you choose. I don't know the basis for this rule, but it's there. In fact, don't take my word for it...inquire at your school's financial aid office.

You don't want to consolidate with anyone else besides the government anyways. If you consolidate your federal loans with another lender, then they can sell your loans to someone else who can change the terms of your contract. They, in turn, can sell your loans to someone else. It can get pretty hairy. I know this because I consolidated my undergrad loans with a lender and it got pretty messy. I re-consolidated this year and brought everything back to the government.

Lenders are out to make as much money off of you as possible. I never thought these words would pass through my lips - but I trust the government a little more.