and round and round it goes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm sure lots of you had this problem before, but my situation is kinda unique.

so i don't have a car, and will be starting med school soon in a place where a car is REQ'D. i'd like to get a job to pay for it(since my dad recently got laid off...finances are very tight right now). but i can't get a job until i get a car and vice versa. what do i do?

i wish someone would just deposit 1 biliion dollars into my bank account. would solve a lot of problems 😀
 
A car may not be necessary during your first 2 years. See if you can hold off and get a car when your financial situation might be a bit better. If you need a job right now, try and find one where you can walk, take the bus/subway, ride a bike, etc. If you are in Boston the public transportation is pretty good and a car shouldn't be an absolute necessity.
 
Yeah, the whole "required" thing sounds a little fishy...you will be in classes for two years. You can carpool or borrow from someone on those days you "must" have a car. Many schools include increased fin. aid. for "transportation" costs for 3rd year. Others allow institutional loans to purchase a (USED) car for the start of rotations. Financial Aid is also very generous...our family of four lives on the same amount of aid my husband's single friends do...our rent is 3x some of thiers......if he were single, he could be driving a LEXUS by now!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try looking at www.freecarkey.com I'm don't know anyone who has done it but you get a car to drive that most likely has its gas and insurance paid for free. The catch is that you will be a mobile advertisement for whatever company sponsers the car. As a bonus I think they give you a monthly salary. In your situation it may be worth the $20 dollar membership fee. I plan on checking it out when I head to school next fall.
 
I'll let you know if it is a scam or not when I try it next fall. If you're going to be in so much debt for school anyway, how much is 20 bucks? It might be a bad idea...20 bucks can get you over 40 ramen noodles packages. I should bring this up in the lounge so that fighterdoc and kinetic can argue with me. By the way...I see a bright pink element with an insurance company painted all over it at the school I attend. I'm guessing it isn't a student who drives a company car, but instead a person who gets paid to advertise. Who else would drive an element...especially a bright pink one 😕 ?